Critical Mass

Great times, Good people but little Growth

Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Critical Mass

Pros

-Great atmosphere/ culture.
-Good people.
-Always free food.

Cons

-No non-billable love.
-Little to no growth in Chicago IT (no next level to move to).
-A few cliques run the whole operation.

Make non-billable a priority.

89 Other Employee Reviews for Critical Mass (View Most Recent)

Talented People, Agency Capable of More

I worked at Critical Mass

Pros

Really good clients, some super talented people, nice people, Calgary is ridiculously cold so it is nice to be able to work for the company in other cities, some projects are very exciting, overall management is good, although my manager was a world class douche. Some reviews say hours are crazy but I've worked at various agencies and CM's hours are nothing compared to much of the industry. Definitely some very long hours at times but nothing consistently crazy.

Cons

Lack of big ideas, big thinking, not enough of a creative agency. Much of leadership aspires to more but it seems to fall a part at some part in the process. Unfortunately I think the agency cannot attract the required talent to Calgary to change this.

Don't give up on becoming more of a creative big idea agency. CM started and grew utilizing talented designers because that's what drove digital work in the late 90s but the agency has grown and the world has changed and it'd be nice to see CM creating bigger and better ideas, not just pretty web sites. I think CM can get there but management needs to fight for it.

Great For Entry Level

I worked at Critical Mass

Pros

If you are just trying to get your foot into the door in the online space this is a great place to do it.
    The salaries are fine for the jobs.
    The culture is weird in that by 5:30 the office is -empty-. I've never seen a digital agency where everyone fled so quickly.

Cons

Honestly, the people you are working with are kind of idiots. Everyone I met was eager to jump ship during the 18 months I worked there. The programmers are overworked (and are frankly too skilled for the sweat shop conditions they are given), the designers are good but not great, and everyone else is just...a worthless parasite.
    it is an office filled with marketers that go around calling other marketers douche bags (without realizing they belong in that same category) .

You have created an interesting business. People pay you a boatload of money for moderately interesting web experiences. There will ALWAYS be a place for that...so why change a thing?

There are newer employer reviews for Critical Mass