Critical Mass
www.criticalmass.com Calgary, Canada 500 to 999 Employees

Friendly, trendy, modern company to work for

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Critical Mass full-time

ProsThe office is best suited for beginners, experience is not required to work at CM, they prefer to hire cheap interns, or associates, and train within. It's great for the 25 and under crowd, who like to be active in the social club, drink beer, play games. Casual, wear jeans everyday, kinda atmosphere, with very little structure. Super funky for youth. Anyone with real experience, and mature that has worked in the real world will likely not fit here. Youth has a way of showing no respect, and why should they - they get big titles and are treated equal to peers with 5, 10, 15 years experience within the 1st year. Kids love this company!

ConsNo one sticks around. It's a revolving door. CM does not provide all they promise to their employees. They think sugar coating the job enviroment with free beer, chips and movies will keep you around. CM pay is cheap, below industry average and the benefits are sub par for such a high profile company. They get by with new candidates consistently wanting to work at CM, due to great marketing and so called perks, at the end of the day, they are a cheap company, with more mid management. I mean really, how much respect is a 24 yr old going to get as a Project Mgr when they leave CM with 1 yr or 2 yrs experience. They are barely a Coordinator and will not last in the 'real' world of any agency, media or marketing firm. Too young, poor training, just a fly by the seat of your pants kinda place and lots of fun.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour no longer a 5 man firm with a big dream, you are now an Internationally recognized top Digital Agency that does tremendous work (all down to a few key people leading the ship), but their comes a time to grow up, or your old ways will bite you. CM you need leadership in every discipline, mostly Project Managment, you have PD's who are actually resource Managers, you have PM's that are actually Project Coordinators and Project Administrators .. have a heirachy within the discipline. Stop treating everyone equal, across the board .. it doesn't keep people around, nor does it provide any stability to your company. Worst revolving door experience of my life. Yes you are unique in Calgary, but an experienced Project Manager can step in and provide structure, and mentorship, whether they've worked in an agency or not. Every industry has a client, 3rd party vendors, multiple stakeholders. Drop the agency card, it doesn't work .. it simply provides you with a high school atmosphere that frankly your clients would freak if they could be a fly on the wall of your operation.

Great Experience

Art Director (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Critical Mass full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great people and won't get bored. Cons: Sometimes demanding for pitches and project delivery dates. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Sweat Shop that Thinks it is creative

I have been working at Critical Mass full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Lovely people great office lots of smart folks Cons: - they work you to death - the creative leadership is lacking - Head office has a chip on its shoulder - lack of new business opportunities - lack… Advice to Senior Management: Get more senior leadership from outside of your gene pool. Most of you have… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Critical Mass.

Worked for Critical Mass? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Critical Mass reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Critical Mass CEO Dianne Wilkins. All reviews posted anonymously by Critical Mass employees.