There are newer employer reviews for Critigen

An interesting business model at the time....but the management cannot pull it off....

Former Employee - Business Development Director
Former Employee - Business Development Director

I worked at Critigen

Pros

- Some very compelling case studies for designing & implementing technology solutions in critical infrastructure (civil, power, gov't).

- Strong skill sets and team in GIS

- Having Golden Gate Capital as a strategic investor; their model is to 'roll up' different firms to create something that can change markets.

Cons

- Solution practices that are merely adequate and not considered market leaders: managed services, and security (only has part of the full cyber security solution that the market requires)

- Given that some of the practices are not considered leaders, and their overall market is somewhat limited, the opportunities for growth are constrained (barring any M&A to get into bigger markets)

- Conflicting views of investment in emerging growth areas such as asset mgt and sustainability; a lot of 'stop and start' messages from senior management

- The senior management team 'grew up together' at CH2M HILL's Enterprise Management Systems division (EMS); very insular, not nearly as smart and experienced in leadership as they think they are, and not up to the unique challenge of creating a whole new set of clients and revenue streams, now that they are separate from the 'mother ship' (i.e.CH2M)

- First off: dump the name 'Critigen'; it's silly, pretentious, and we had to explain it to most all clients and prospects who thought it was Cryogen or Critter Gen (note; the VP of Marketing came up with the name when she was the outside marketing consulant....)

- Consider selling the firm to a global BPO company that can get you into bigger markets and companies

- Build a formal alliance program with key technology vendors as well as global EPCs to drive sales (something I promoted vigorously but was shouted down....)

- And, barring that:....consider asking CH2M to take the company back and go back to providing enabling technology solutions to a captive market...

50 Other Employee Reviews for Critigen (View Most Recent)

Beware of Critigen as a place to work

I worked at Critigen

Pros

They offer overtime pay for billable hours worked over 80 hours in a 2 week period as a salaried employee. If you are busy, this can be a very nice perk and make you a bit of extra cash. There are still some very good quality personnel working at Critigen, so you can make some good friends who have skills. The projects can be interesting and challenging, so you can grow provided you can take the BS and they don't RIF you.

Cons

Senior and middle management are not useful or helpful. When times are good, they leave people to their own devices, but when work runs out, they give a lot of lip service and are not supporting in any way. They will tell you there is plenty of work and then turf you in a millisecond with literally no warning. They have the absolute most incompetent HR department on the planet. They can't get very simple information of benefit forms into benefit systems and then drag their feet to get it fixed. They will outright lie to you. I have seen a number of really good people get strung around and then let go when it wasn't good or smart to terminate them. They have no loyalty to their employees but expect employees to be loyal to the company. There are a number of better places to work that do the same kinds of work, so look around and pick your associations carefully!! If you really need a job, take one here, but keep your resume polished and keep looking.

I am not sure that there is anything that can save Critigen at this point, other than starting over where you were before becoming Managed Services for CH2M Hill and the GIS division of CH. A start would be getting in some real professional HR resources that could drive getting and holding quality personnel. If you read what is written in glassdoor, you must know it will be hard to get quality personnel when it is perceived that Critigen isn't a good place to work. Also really evaluate whether the managers are good at what they do, or just holding down a seat. Help the folks who are delivering the products and don't just focus on sales. Sales without quality delivery are just bad business. Support your teams. They are the company.

Beware of Critigen

I worked at Critigen

Pros

It seemed as though the right technologies were readily available to do the job. Working on an onsite project gives you a small degree of autonomy.

Cons

I worked for Critigen for a few short months. I was given a job working at an on site project for which I had to relocate. At first it was told to me that it was a sure thing that Critigen's contract would be renewed with the client. Within days of accepting the position and beginning work on the project, the tune changed to one of being unsure whether the contract would be renewed. When it became even more obvious that the contract would not be renewed, (and seemingly after my badgering) upper management began to look for a new project for me to work on. Another project was found in another state and I began to communicate with different managers about it. After negotiations I was offered a position by one manager in the morning, (for which I began to re-arrange my life around) and then that same evening I received an email from a different manager that someone else had been chosen for the position. Upon calling the hiring manager to discuss, when he called me back (he hadn't recognized my number) he hung up on me and pretended he'd called a wrong number when he heard my voice. I've honestly never in my life seen such a display of raw un-professionalism and cowardice. Needless to say I never felt comfortable in my work environment while with Critigen. After how I was treated I felt like Critigen was misleading and that I was being treated like a number rather than being viewed as a human being. Even with the economy being as it is, I would have to think long and hard if I were ever offered a position with Critigen again. I'm not saying exactly this will happen to people if they work for Critigen, I'm just trying to explain the events that happened to me. If my explanation can help anyone with such a big life changing decision as where to work, then good deal. Merry Christmas and chose your companies carefully.

Learn how to deal with people in a straight forward non-misleading manner. Even though Critigen is coming from a big company like CH2M Hill it is important not to lose the human element of your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Critigen

Worked for Critigen? Contribute to the Community!