There are newer employer reviews for Crowe Horwath

Great place to start a career

Former Employee - Audit Staff in Indianapolis, IN
Former Employee - Audit Staff in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great firm to work for out of college. Excellent support resources and an open work environment.

Cons

Work-life balance is not as flexible as marketed. Poor collaboration amoung managers limited efficiency, resulting in longer work hours.

Advice to Management

Crowe is struggling to redefine their national image as a large national accounting firm, while at the same time claiming to maintain their small firm values. Management needs to communicate a clearer image / firm mission, in order to let their employees and clients know with whom they are working. Perhaps this will reduce the high turnover experienced amoung the staff and senior staff levels. I believe Crowe will continue to grow, but it is hard to tell what they will ultimately become.

Other Employee Reviews for Crowe Horwath

1. Occasionally long hours, but great people and benefits

Current Intern - Tax Intern in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Intern - Tax Intern in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Crowe Horwath as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, good people. Nice atmosphere. Culture seems very friendly. Haven't really met anyone I didn't like at Crowe. Nice amenities in the office. Office looks very nice.

Cons

Sometimes you might work a bit longer than you like when deadlines approach, probably more if you're working busy season, but as an intern you get overtime pay if you exceed 40 hours. Not a huge deal, seems typical of public accounting. Occasionally you might get stuck with not much to do as a summer intern, but ask around and you'll find something. No PTO as an intern, holidays aren't paid but you get time off, but I can't really complain.

Advice to Management

I think management does a good job, just continue to listen to employees for suggestions or when they need help. I like that the management encourages a friendly and open atmosphere, so keep that up.

conservative pay increase policy forces looking elsewhere

Current Employee - Manager in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like many companies, there a lot of nice folks at Crowe to work with and good opportunities to learn, gain experience and move on to another next happy job. Crowe has invested a decent percentage of capital in technology, so the firm is not in the stone age.

Cons

Salary growth is minimal in good times, training funds are pathetic. Look to self-training otherwise you'll become a relic. Large partnership based organization politics can be frustrating, as well as the salary increases for non-partner employees - which are 1-3% at best. It's a top-to-bottom pyramid, with a very niche group at the top (similar to most other companies I've worked at). If you have an offer letter from another company, they will consider increasing your salary, which forces you to interview, which then makes you have to choose whether or not to move on. Backwards method, which causes really good pros to leave, hiring more college grads, then rinse & repeat.

Advice to Management

Doubtful that any of the partners would look here, or other officers that could make any difference, so no point in elaborating.