There are newer employer reviews for Crystal Stairs

Easy Going Fun Family oriented environment.

Former Employee - Chidcare Provider in Compton, CA
Former Employee - Chidcare Provider in Compton, CA

I worked at Crystal Stairs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dealing with children and getting them to open up to try new things.

Cons

I try not to look at a downside. But I would say when a child was absent from child care.

Advice to Management

N/A

Other Employee Reviews for Crystal Stairs

Worthy Cause... Big Disappointment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Crystal Stairs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Colleagues who have worked at the company for a long period of time are passionate about the organization's mission. The company is funded to meet the educational needs of families in need in Los Angeles. Employees are encouraged to leave on-time(mostly so they do not violate labor laws but it does benefit someone looking for work-life balance).

Cons

Like big corporations, management is focused on meeting the bottom line and takes shortcuts at the expense of employees and programs. High levels of nepotism and politics prevail. It was a very different place under the former CEO. Entire HR department up and left one day -- says a lot right there. One day, I had had enough and handed in my resignation. Paranoid leaders scared of being upstaged and losing their place in the food chain managed people with an assembly line mentality, where seats should be filled at all times, but minds should be turned off to thinking. As a result, new ideas are not received and the organization rolls along like its 1972. Values including quality and responsibility are not fostered consistently. With such a great need for the services they are funded to provide, it is a shame. Today's challenges need big thinkers who can deliver creative solutions. To do that, organizational and cultural changes are needed. There is a lack of opportunities to grow and develop.

Advice to Management

Hire the right people for the right jobs. If you would like to be considered a corporation and secure funding from big contributors, invest in ongoing training and coaching for managers and leaders. Too many have been grandfathered into roles (along with bad habits), or hired through personal relationships, and do not have a clue about basic skills like goal-setting or people skills, never mind leading and developing people (which should be paramount for an educational organization). Also, if you are looking to fill roles with Master's or PhD candidates, you need to compensate candidates fairly, both financially and with work that challenges them so that they can actually contribute.

2. Job survey

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Crystal Stairs full-time

Pros

Being able to care for children

Cons

I don't have any downsides