There are newer employer reviews for CubeSmart

Good potential. Poor motivation and leadership by District and Area Managers.

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I genuinely like the work, but am really only surviving because of the free apartment. The compensation (compared to the high level of performance they require and continued mental abuse received from supervisors) is insulting. Pride prevents me from delivering anything less than my best, and that must be what they're counting on.

I enjoy dealing with my customers, although corporate continues to lose long term patrons because of regular rent increases (with no ceiling) and skimpy property maintenance. It's all about shareholder profits and executive bonuses, apparently. They couldn't care less about the customers (or employees).

Cons

My experience is that DM's are spread too thinly between multiple locations and can't handle the work load. It's been far too long since they ran their own facility, if they ever did, and all they see now are numbers and how to line their own purses. Mine has extremely poor people handling skills, and will quickly throw a devoted employee under the bus to make them look good and fulfill their own self-serving agenda. They show very little respect, and belittle and talk down to employees regularly. They rarely praise you for a job well done, but regularly offer harsh criticisms based on ever changing 'policies' and mistrust through scathing emails, unrealistic audits, secret shoppers, spy cams, and recorded phone calls.

Teach your District and Area Managers to respect their workers, quit micro-managing, allow your General Managers to make their own decisions, and then stand behind them. I am a hard working, honest, employee that works with integrity. My customers love me. My facility is run professionally. My supervisors treat me like a child and show no trust, confidence or loyalty. I've been successfully running this facility for more than 8 years and still have to explain myself and cover my butt daily.

What General Manager in other companies has NO say in hiring, firing, purchasing supplies, daily decision making, or is even permitted to contact their corporate office personnel without going through their DM?

The company has done very well financially, and is experiencing all-time high occupancy levels. General Managers and Managers have accomplished this in spite of poor leadership by their immediate supervisors and near poverty compensation. Give credit where credit is due. Stop spending millions on senseless rebranding (U-Store-It), useless touch-screen TV's, unnecessary office remodeling, and computer upgrades that don't work, and pay your employees that run the field (the ones that your customers deal with every day) what we deserve. Then trust us to do the job.

35 Other Employee Reviews for CubeSmart (View Most Recent)

great company to work for, but under paid

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

benefits, and the ability to easily move up the ranks, once you have proven yourself.

Cons

staff is underpaid, and sometimes under appreciated

Pay your employees what they are worth.

Little growth opportunity, insulting annual raises, crap bonus and cheap district managers

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It's a paycheck
    Healthcare costs low

Cons

Gossip is insane
    DM's have too much power and they can stonewall you with any request you have
    Upper management uses avoidance as key technique to control the field workers
    .25 cent annual raises? Seriously?
    401k match plan is a joke
    Everchanging and lowering of monthly bonuses

This place has been progressively worse for employees since corporate shake-up in 2006. Incentives have been diminished slowly over time, in the hopes that employees will not take notice. The company has done very well financially, and is experiencing occupancies of all-time highes, yet our incentives and compensations packages have not changed one bit. It's sad to see the change over time. It's slowly becoming just another Public Storage. All about the shareholders and executives.

There are newer employer reviews for CubeSmart

Worked for CubeSmart? Contribute to the Community!