A very promising experience

Current Employee - Catalyst Elements Engineer  in  Columbus, IN
Current Employee - Catalyst Elements Engineer in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time for less than a year

Pros

A lot of room to grow, still not a lot of competition as understaffing is still an issue.
A lot of young people starting up
Close mingling between upper management and staff engineers, at least in my department. I feel people are more willing to let you come to them (if you can find them!)
Company's going strong, emissions business is expanding and perhaps will allow those coming in now to take good leadership positions in the industry in the near future, great career prospect

Cons

A lot of confusing procedures makes productivity suffer initially while we catch up to the company's way of doing things.
A bit of an adaptation process, a lot of new people, and a lot of work on everyone's shoulders leaves very little room to ask for help. Nonetheless, everyone you ask will give it an honest shot at helping you out.

A bit more clarity on tasks and make procedures more lean and straightforward. Will give engineers more room to think about tests/designs and other problem-solving issues without the clutter of mandatory actions.

Other Reviews for Cummins

Great experience, would recommend working here

Current Employee - Reliability Engineer  in  Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Reliability Engineer in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Diverse, young and growing company. Has lot of opportunities to explore career options.

Cons

Locations may be limited but it depends on where you want to work at.

'Not' a Great Place To Work (CES, Stoughton, WI)

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer  in  Stoughton, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Stoughton, WI

I worked at Cummins full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unfortunately, not too many pros to list here. I worked here for about 2 years-I left the company about 4 years ago. I had joined Cummins with great expectations that I was joining a world class company, but unfortunately it was a nightmarish experience.

Cons

1) Tons of politics. The employees who are able to schmooze and socialize with the managers/team leads are the only ones who can survive. In fact, even the HR directly tells employees that try to socialize with the management. Why should the employees have to do that. As long as they are doing a good job, shouldn't that be enough? No, it's not, at this place

2) As an extension to point 1, people with no experience, qualification and background were appointed at positions like team leads, managers, etc. It was ridiculous. To give some examples, an engineer who had obtained their bachelor's degree 2 years ago was a team lead. A guy who was working as a bike salesman 3 years ago was now a chief engineer and practically running the place. The result was the place was a total mess and it was a torture to work there. It was like a 'mom and pop shop' that employs hourly teenage workers. It was nowhere close to a multi-billion dollar that Cummins is.

3) One of the "Operating Principles"-as they call it-was 'diversity', but it was not followed at all. I am sorry to say that there was open racism at this place. That clearly explains point 1 and more clearly 'point 2'

4) It was just horrible to work here because of the above reasons. It was 4 years ago though. Things might be a bit different now, but if the same people/amangement are working, don't expect anything different. They had a committee called "Great Place To Work (GPTW)". The purpose of this committee was to make the work environment great for employees. Unfortunately, this committee failed miserably and it couldn't do anything towards their purpose. The HR was pathetic too-they are totally impotent in making things easier for the employees. The whole responsibility of running the place went into the hands of totally wrong people, who were completely mis-using their power to do so.

There is no use in giving any advise, but still I will make an attempt. If possible, follow diversity to its true sense. Don't just pay attention to employees who go out with you after work or for biking or come to your silly poker games.

There are newer employer reviews for Cummins.

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!