Cummins
www.cummins.com Columbus, IN 5000+ Employees

The division you work in is critically important to your job satisfaction at this company.

Technical Specialist (Former Employee)
Columbus, IN

ProsMost of the people you work with are good to work with. The union is easier to get along with than most.

ConsForced ranking is how raises are given and how layoffs are determined. If you have a "guardian angel" higher in management you can basically do nothing all day and get good reviews. Everyone else needs to keep detailed notes of what they do throughout the year to stay competitve when yearly rankings are completed. Outside of these rankings there is no cost of living increase to your salary so if you get a bad ranking one year that is essentially a permanent pay cut due to inflation.

The forced ranking system is somewhat of a popularity contest. It is not truly performance based because performance is determined by perception not hard facts.
The company also preaches that diversity will improve results. Unfortunately they only want diversity in skin color and lifestyle choices. There is nothing in the system to take advantage of the diverse talents that each employee brings with them. If their talents do not fit the Cummins "mold" the company has no idea how to help you perform better or to leverage your skills if they fall outside of their narrow definition of a "good" employee.

There is no employee development other than what you can figure out on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour systems cut good people loose all of the time and do not do a good enough job of flushing the low performers with connections. Also you preach putting people in a position to succeed with their unique talents but it is just talk and no action.

commidity management

Sourcing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than a year

Pros: good working place, work-life balance, friendly internal personal interaction Cons: less entertaiment in the town, not too many places can… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

after 1 year

Engineering Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than a year

Pros: cyclic growing company...has not figured out how to get out… Cons: chaos in trying to do too many things at once...lots of… Advice to Senior Management: focus on the important stuff... Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Cummins.

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!

Cummins – Why Work for Us?

• Cummins Inc. is a global power leader that designs, manufactures, sells and services diesel engines and related technology globally. • We serve our customers through our network of 500 company-owned and independent… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cummins reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cummins CEO Tom Linebarger. All reviews posted anonymously by Cummins employees.