Cummins

www.cummins.com
  www.cummins.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cummins

An outstanding company to work for

I have been working at Cummins full-time

Pros

Never a dull moment in the company. With the company growing exponentially, new projects career opportunities and growth prospects are excellent. Cummins is a great place for one to advance ones career. Cummins offers a competitive bonus and salary package. A good company to work for.

Cons

It is currently too manufacturing focused. Requires a good sc view. Need to bring all business units to a plane level and need to think holistically and not just single business unit focused. Cummins has a long way to go in changing the culture from manufacturing to sc company.

Continue pursuing the vision. Cummins is in good hands

577 Other Employee Reviews for Cummins (View Most Recent)

Disappointing

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most people don't seem to work more than forty hours a week and Columbus is a nice small town. If a pay check and a good place to raise kids is what you're after, this works fairly well.

Cons

The maturity of the company in general was disappointing. Processes were often redundant, poorly thought out and inconsistently applied. Six sigma was the fall back process for everything and many projects were hammered into a green belt format whether it was appropriate or not. Three green belt projects were required before mid level managers could be promoted. I found it insulting that my six sigma credentials from previous employers were discounted.

Less tangible but more troubling was an element of fear that seemed to pervade the mind set of the work force. Everyone from the new grad to the executive director would acknowledge that there were some fairly distasteful aspects to working for Cummins. The ranking and rating system, the hiring binges followed by layoffs, and the six sigma policies were fairly unpopular but most people would only complain in private. A significant percentage of the engineers I met weren't quite sure what they were supposed to be doing but were reluctant to admit it. The nail that stuck up got pounded down (or pulled out). Inertia is a powerful thing in large corporations but at least suggestions for change were welcomed, if not acted upon, at my other employers (GE, Ford). At Cummins, I got the sense that upper management felt like they knew what they were doing and didn't need any help from the masses and certainly not from someone outside the organization.

I had high hopes when I started at Cummins. By the time I left I felt like I was waking up from a bad dream. It just isn't a place for an ambitious experienced professional to work.

Senior Project manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good life-work balance
    Potential to work anywhere in the world
    Very open to discuss career with upper management

Cons

Mid-low salaries. Mid-low bonus. HR does not properly communicate salary levels and salary rules are not always followed when employees change jobs inside of the company.
    System to prevent unethical behavior and to prevent discrimination does not work well. Some employees simply do not use the confidential hotline and others do not sincerely respond investigations because most people are afraid to be punished by infractor once nothing happens with investigation.

There are newer employer reviews for Cummins