Good Place to Work

Former Employee - MBA Intern in Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - MBA Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Cummins

Pros

Good work life balance. Great internship opportuntiy, project was meaningful to company and challenging. Decent pay.

Cons

Difficult to navigate corporate structure and at times communication is difficult. Information Systems need updated

Advice to Management

Update international information systems

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Cummins, "We put our employees first"...untill time for layoffs

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins

Pros

Great place if you like to sit and philosophize in meetings all day instead of actuaully doing work.
    Cummins boasts of there great salaries in comparison with the area. This is a great way to attract talent from secure jobs. Had a record year in sales 2008 and 2007 although took full advantage of the economy situation to do what they are notorious for....layoffs in large numbers.

Cons

Like many others, I had a very secure job in design for 18 years when at the beginning of 08 Cummins bragged about there massive hiring frenzy. I, like many others were attracted to an increase in pay. Less than 10 months later, layoffs in mass quantities..using the economy as an excuse....(Did I mention they had record sales in 2008 and 2009 ?) If you are the type of employee that loves to attend meetings, improve your security by inflated Six Sigma attributes, and basically philosophize
    rather than hands on development, Cummins is your place. Oh yes, forced ranking, Cummins refuses to accept that the old school philosophy of scare them to death on a daily basis does not motivate employees. One other comment, Cummins likes to shine in the community papers as always helping the community, employees walking old ladies across the streets. Could this possibly be because the employees are actually graded on this in there forced ranking process ?
    I ask is Cummins really a leader in community evolvement and "Putting there employees first" when if you look at there history, they have no problem with massive layoffs to get there bottom line numbers.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing

2. If you work here, get connected to high level managers asap.

I worked at Cummins

Pros

Its pretty easy to negotiate your base salary, you can also get a sign on bonus pretty easy, just ask for it!

Cons

Not a very inclusive environment. Performance Reviews are a joke within this Forced Ranking approach. If you are not liked you better start looking for a new job asap!

Advice to Management

Diversity training and Inclusion training should be required of all employees within the first two weeks of being hired. All minorities should be paired with a Mentor to help them succeed in cummins rigid non inclusive environment.