Great place to work

Former Employee - Finance in Columbus, IN
Former Employee - Finance in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins

Pros

Work life balance and friendly people

Cons

Very political and low pay

Advice to Management

Communication is a 2 way street

reviews filtered by
  1. Good step stone

Former Employee - Software in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Software in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins

Pros

Good work experience; good worklife balance

Cons

Not career advancement in technical fields

Advice to Management

Think about career advancement in technical fields

Cummins is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Material Planner in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Material Planner in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Cummins

Pros

Cummins does a great job of communicating changes and direction to all employees. They especially do a good job of communicating expectations, metrics and how the company performs according to those metrics. The company also does a good job of making employees understand how they negatively or positively affect those metrics.

Employees are treated with respect, and I find that upper management requests and values feedback from employees.
    One of the missions of Cummins Parts and Service is to make it a great place to work. It is truly a great place to work.
    The work environment, the equipment, and (especially) people make it worth while.
    Cummins is also very flexible and understanding (from my experience) when you have matters outside of work to take care of.

Cons

Although the company does a great job of communicating metrics to the employees and how each employee or role can influence those metrics , sometimes it is difficult to accept that one really has a say so in the "big picture".

While Cummins is a great company to work, compensation for similar work in other organizations is much higher. It is known, internally, that Cummins is not the best paying place to work, but many of the benefits (great place to work/flexibility) sometimes make it harder to leave .

Advice to Management

Obviously people are the assets to most companies, and there are brilliant people at Cummins. Along with these brilliant people, there are also employees who work very hard and achieve great results. These employees should be recognized. I see many employees in "non key roles" that work very hard and they are never recognized on a grand scale. It seems certain roles or functional areas garner more recognition than others for working just as hard and achieving parallel results.

In the years that I've been at Cummins, I've seen them lose many great employees to other companies based purely on compensation. I think the company should do a better job of compensating its employees, especially its internal employees who are more or less under compensated because the company has all salary information on that person.