Curves International

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Fitness Trainer
Former Employee - Fitness Trainer

I worked at Curves International

Pros

Fun place to work, clean environment, happy staff and customers.

Cons

No career advancement opportunities and commission structure for supplement or clothing sales is a very small percentage.

Keep staying positive and keeping your facilities clean....the customers really enjoy it.

69 Other Employee Reviews for Curves International (View Most Recent)

Great system but no money.

Former Employee - Circuit Coach
    Former Employee - Circuit Coach

I worked at Curves International

Pros

Worthy mission of improving women's health with exercise & healthy nutrition programs. Wonderful co-workers & members. Members get fast, efficient systems for reasonable dues. Locations are individually owned. Most owners & staff have altruistic motives: want to do good for women. A great training ground for running a business. Curves International has excellent marketing and training materials available to the clubs. Many owners are former staff or members.

Cons

Too much competition from big, cheap, overcrowded gyms means about 70% of Curves owners are just breaking even or are losing $ every month. So pay is low & anxiety high with worry that your club will go out of business. Curves International had a good thing, but then got greedy & put too many franchises too close together. When a location closes, CI tries to collect thousands to tens of thousand of $ in lost future royalties. If owners had that kind of money, would not have gone out of business in first place. Eventually most owners & managers get overwhelmed & exhausted from long hours & anxiety caused by mountains of debt.

Help clubs weather economic downturn. If a club is losing money, allow it to have a short term waiver of royalties until business picks up again.

Great Part Time Job

I worked at Curves International

Pros

Constant contact with people who have a common goal of becoming healthy. This isn't a normal gym atmosphere, so the approach to fitness is much different. Working as both a trainer and the office staff ensured that there was never a dull moment. If you are looking for a good part time job to get you out of the house and earn some extra cash,

Cons

The specific franchise I worked at had serious financial problems and I was always in danger of my check bouncing. Also, only one person was working at a time so certain aspects of safety were overlooked when I needed to man the front desk.

I think the company is a great if the franchise is run correctly. I've visited several other locations that have a larger operating budget and larger client base. You shouldn't continue to operate the locations that are losing your money and making your company look bad.

There are newer employer reviews for Curves International