Custom Sounds

www.customsounds.com
  www.customsounds.com
There are newer employer reviews for Custom Sounds

All about how much you can make and how much they can take.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Custom Sounds

Pros

You get good discounts on personal car audio purchases. You get to attend car shows for free. You get to be part of a fast growing industry.

Cons

It's all about the dollar for them, and they are always penalizing you financially for not making unreasonable expectations. They take away your spiff commissions for the most ridiculous reasons. They will decide they are having a "sale" and you're required to work and call it a "commission only day", you'll make like 3% for every sale(that's .03 for every dollar). Overall if you want to be treated unfairly, be required to work crazy amount of hours, and make this place your life, constantly have them use any reason not to pay you for something, get screamed at (literally screamed at, pounding fist screaming), then this is the place for you.

Money doesn't buy class, no matter how much you throw at it. Earn respect instead of demanding that it be given to you.

4 Other Employee Reviews for Custom Sounds (View Most Recent)

If you really like car audio, you may like this.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Custom Sounds

Pros

Your pay is dependent on your performance. As either sales or install you are paid on commission. So if you work really hard and get a lot done and do good in sales then you can make good money.

Cons

Working on commission can be difficult when regardless of your ability to sell, business just doesn't supply enough customers to make a decent living. Gets redundant very quickly. As a manager you are often short staffed and overworked. I found myself many times without a sales team and left to run the entire store and do all the sales myself. Hours are also not always consistent. I was big with customer service and stayed late on quite a few occasions to get a job done after hours which I was not getting paid any extra for.

Keep your Sales floor staffed and reward those employees who stand out.

Good place to learn, but you'll put it lots of hours...

Former Employee - Installer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Installer in Austin, TX

I worked at Custom Sounds full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to gain experience, learn & hone customization skills

Cons

Per-hour pay may end up be less than if you were working install at a box store like Fry's or Best Buy. Expect to not have a life during Texas Heat Wave. No manufacturer discounts (accommodations) for employees.

Pay employees labor commission for board work; if business is slow, let excess installers leave work / be on-call.

There are newer employer reviews for Custom Sounds