Customer Engineering Services

There are newer employer reviews for Customer Engineering Services

Long hours

Current Employee - TSR in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - TSR in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Customer Engineering Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They give you plenty of over time at this place to work on printers. They supply you with a vehicle and with tools and a phone.

Cons

Starting pay is way too low. Raises are not given out regularly. They work you 50 hours a week at least.

Have your starting wage be more competitive with other companies and dont lowball your technicians.

13 Other Employee Reviews for Customer Engineering Services (View Most Recent)

Good to build experience from entry-level, but keep your resume updated and jump when you have a chance.

Former Employee - Technical Service Representative
    Former Employee - Technical Service Representative

I worked at Customer Engineering Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you work as a TSR (technical service rep, about 90% of their workforce) you get a car, phone, computer and tools provided. Scenery changes daily. Pay is decent to start but...

Cons

...don't expect frequent or significant raises - I went on average 3 years between 5% raises, and usually only after I brought it to the attention of my manager several times. No year-end bonuses or profit-sharing of any kind, and they only recently started 401k matching at a level that is a complete joke (something like $150 per $1,000 contributed.)

Most of your days will be spent dealing with minimum/near minimum wage retail employees in a retail setting. LOTS of driving, after they started issuing company cars I went through them at a rate of 1 every 2 years (the fleet company initiates a replacement at ~85,000 miles.) Managers have completely unrealistic expectations on travel time (ie, "it took you 1 hour to drive 60 miles, I could have done that in 25 minutes") and call ETAs are set arbitrarily by a computerized dispatch system, often giving you no time to cover large distances.

Training is hit or miss, depends on the account you end up working on. By the time I left they picked up a service contract with a major office equipment supplier and we were expected to BS our way through convincing the customers that you were an old hand at servicing their copier/printer (etc.) when often it was the first time you laid eyes on the equipment you were working on.

They don't really promote from within, all the upper management are IBM alumni and seem to always have someone waiting in the wings when a position opens up. In 8 years I saw one coworker move up substantially, there's really no opportunity for advancement here.

Provides benefits but you pay through the nose for them and I had an independent insurance agent tell me their healthcare plan was "on the mediocre side of terrible" and not worth buying, I was able to do better buying my own policy.

Offer your employees some incentive for working hard. A 5% raise every 2-3 years hardly keeps up with inflation.

will get good knowledge

Current Employee - Customization in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Customization in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Customer Engineering Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

get more relationship with customer

Cons

we cannot satisfied the customer

support support