Cvent

www.cvent.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cvent

Lots of growth potential

Current Employee - Marketing in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I joined Cvent as an entry level employee, and have had the opportunity to grow with the company. Cvent demands hard work, but rewards it as well – I have seen many others promoted up the ladder into leadership positions here. Cvent placed their trust in me and gave me a lot of responsibility when I was just a year or two out of college, and I have really valued the degree of independence I've had on my projects. If you're looking for a fast-moving, high-growth company where you will learn a LOT about the realities of running a successful business, Cvent is the place for you.

Cons

Cvent does require hard work. People who just put in the hours tend to get dissatisfied. The people who thrive (and get promoted) are those who work hard and take ownership of their projects.

Different departments have different dynamics. Many people on this site criticize the company for micromanaging them – that's not the case in the marketing department or many other teams. I've been here a long time and have never been micromanaged.

Ditch the contract for new employees. It scares great candidates away.

223 Other Employee Reviews for Cvent (View Most Recent)

Work hard, play hard

Current Employee - Marketing in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- If applying for a Marketing position... the marketing team is made up of the creative (web/graphic design, etc., event planning, marketing opps/ SEO, and PR... this department is full of smart, young, creative, driven individuals. Very lax environment, primarily project/task oriented, ability to work flex hours as long as you get your work done on time/ put the hours in you can leave whenever.

- If applying for a Sales position...your will get to be apart of the action! Everyday there is an exciting buzz on the sales floor of enthusiastic, knowledgeable sales reps making calls. Once with the company for 2 years, you may become eligible to travel to trade shows, seminars, to our India office, etc.

- If applying for another department (Client services, Finance/Accounting/HR, Technology, etc.)...these all have many pros as well!!

Overall, the key takeaways are;
    - Young, energetic company culture
    - Very laid back, casual atmosphere, you end up becoming friends with your co-workers and you actually wake up wanting to go to work.
    - Given responsibilities very soon into employment and a lot of room for growth (varies between depts.)
    - You get to be involved in many fun, company-wide events throughout the year; embracing cross departmental interactions (holiday parties, happy hours, paintball tournaments, and volunteer opportunities)
    - Free parking, in the heart of Tysons (right across from Tysons Galleria), low priced/if not free health care, and discounted gym membership (which is right next to our building!).

Cons

- For marketing; no real cons here, just expect to work extremely hard, but the payoff is definitely worth the hard work!
    - For sales; expect to be making a lot of calls everyday, hours to be more strictly enforced, and be evaluated based on your call volume, as in any sales job. If you believe in our product and can really get behind it (which shouldn't be hard!) the amount of calls your have to make shouldn't be a problem. Also, there are a few different facets within the Sales department so they usually place you in a position they think will work best for you and you will be most successful.

Continue to mentor and promote internally, experienced employees to management roles. Continue to be transparent with your employees and keep them informed with company/industry news. Remember to listen to employees concerns/ recommendations and keep salaries competitive with the industry/area average or else risk the loss of key players at our company.

In three words - don't do it

I have been working at Cvent full-time

Pros

Young, smart coworkers
    Plenty of outings and happy hours.
    If you work hard you can do well, and will advance quickly.

Cons

They don't match 401k's. Their excuse (Reggie) says it is because they pay such high salaries. But they pay considerably less than the national and DC average.
    Very metric driven.
    Monitor everything you do.
    2 year contact! It is constantly evolving as they company is run by lawyers. Orginally it was $7.5 K and it went to a charity in India. It is still around except the charity was shut down. Regardless checks are made to Cvent.
    Constantly hiring. The revolving door is fierce. It is almost like they engineer employee obsolescence.
    Middle management is very inexperienced and young.
    They also are very dishonest about certain managerial processes, like fair compensation between coworkers in similar roles.

Drop the contacts immediately.
    Match 401k's
    Stop hiring so many people and work on current employee retention.

There are newer employer reviews for Cvent