There are newer employer reviews for Cyan

Cyan is a productive, supportive, and fun place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at Cyan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is great. Everyone is supportive of each other.
We work hard but we also play hard too.
There is a lot of room to work autonomously; hard work is acknowledge and you can feel your own impacts in the company as it grows.

Cons

There are growing pains.
One month we might be going in one direction, and the other month it could be a full 180 turn around.

Talk with each other more, overall management can feel Schizophrenic at times.

reviews filtered by
  1. Location Location Location

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at Cyan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you like Sonoma County living and you want to work in tech, this is the place
    You are expected to work hard, but not crazy hard
    The technologies being developed are cutting edge
    Very nice team of people

Cons

For a software company, lacks leadership with deep knowledge of the business side of software
    Lack of project management and formal product lifecycle leads to poor communication and missed dates

See Cons. These are easy things to fix through key hiring and top-down implementation of the processes you would expect to see at a company that is two years post-IPO.

2. Lot's of great people, but bad management and work environment

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Petaluma, CA

I worked at Cyan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I got to work with some really bright engineers that I learned a lot from. Sonoma County is gorgeous and a great place to live. They really do build excellent hardware.

Cons

Management would give answers to questions in meetings which sounded good without really saying anything meaningful. There are systemic problems with the treatment of employees that were ignored. Bringing up problems would get you laughed at. Poor to non-existant testing of software. Trying to fix things would result in poor performance reviews because it wasn't on the plan. Lots of the software is written by contractors who have no idea what they're doing, killing the productivity of the actual engineers.

Treat employees with respect. Life's too short to spend it on trying to get a mediocre product out the door to convince some customer to sign a contract. Take a pay cut and pay your employees better. Builld a culture of doing things right instead of worrying about just staying afloat. The floating will come with correctness.

There are newer employer reviews for Cyan