There are newer employer reviews for Cycle Gear

Used to be fun, relaxed but corporate got involved

Former Employee - Key Holder in Redwood City, CA
Former Employee - Key Holder in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount is good if you have a motorcycle. Coworkers are generally the same as you, working to use the discount and make some pay but definitely everyone knew they weren't trying to make a career out of it.

Cons

Corporate got more involved towards the end of my time. Work became more about the numbers and meeting quotas rather than enjoying what we were doing. Discounts got worse, bonuses were harder to come by but I guess you can attribute that to the economy a bit.

Treat your employees better

30 Other Employee Reviews for Cycle Gear (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1st let me say this...anyone that complains about working at cyclegear will complain about any job that requires you to work hard and take pride in something...the problem with most motorcyclist that come to work for cycle gear is that they have no retail experience and when givin a chance most of them just want to chat about bikes all day and get paid for it...most guys get in and dnt take the training serious and dnt realize how much they dnt knw until they have that customer that has tons of questions and they dnt knw any of the answers...I've been in retail for a long time and I have to give cyclegear credit for doing it correctly...from the top dwn they treat and care about all of there employees...and as far as the bilt brand goes...it's our job to qualify the customer so that they make an informed buying desicion...we are never told to push any brand on to our customers...it's true that we dnt hold on to bad or consistent bottom performers ...but what business does? This is a great place to work and all of my employees are like family

Cons

We have to move a little faster with the new technology some of the things we do are out of date

Continue yo advance our exclusive brands

Used to be 5 star back in the day

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Employee discount. You gain a lot of knowledge of the industry and about the sport and hobby of motorcycling from dirt, to street, ATV's to cruisers. You also gain great appreciation for the amount of R&D that goes into the safety equipment, like the reason behind a $5 helmet as opposed to a $550 helmet for example. And you'll meet some cool people along the way.

Cons

The downside is the WalMart mentality. This is a specialty retailer, selling safety equipment, parts accessories and apparel that can potentially save somebody's life. Getting the right equipment for the job is crucial to this and with the turn and burn sales approach is not possible to achieve. Way back when it was all about getting the customer, the fellow rider, what they needed, what was right for them, what was going to keep them riding safely and happily it was great! Then along came the Sharper Image approach. "You're not making your sales goal? Okay... NEXT!!!" This may work great when your selling chairs that massage your feet, or pens that have lights built in so you can write in the dark, or maybe a foam, radio controlled helicopter that falls apart when you use it. When it comes to selling a helmet though to a first time rider, its all about getting them the one that fits right, meets their needs and is gonna keep them around long enough to tell their friends and family about the inevitable first crash and have a laugh about it. Cycle Gear's upper management doesn't care about that anymore though. No, just like any corporation, all they care about is how much money they can make. That's why all this BiLT rubbish that you see is out there. Nothing but margin increasing crap! And rather get the riders what they need, they want you to push junk, until you can't push junk anymore, increase sales figures until you hit the ceiling for the store you get stuck in because they've saturated the market so much with their own name and brand that you are competing against not only their website but the store that's 10 minutes down the road. And then when upper management feel the slightest bit of heat from the kitchen their method of putting out the fire is to can the "bottom feeders" or lowest performers, the one's who's unrealistic sales figures aren't being met. It's ridiculous and not worth getting burned out over, save yourself the hassle of being lulled into a false sense of security and go elsewhere. The old days have passed and the Titans that started this company, the ones who made it great, the ones who made it most successful, are sadly long gone. I am surprised that the bean counters and Shylock's that call the shots today have kept it going this long, but their shady but their shady and immoral business ethics will one day come back and bite them in the ass... I hope. There is a lot more but hopefully this is enough to give you a small taste of how bitter this once great place to work has left at least one person.

Drop the sales goals!!! It's not realistic to try and best your comp when the company is this old and well seasoned. You're own stores are killing each other. You can't have a huge flagship store next to a small store. The small store becomes the return store for the big one, it's numbers dwindle and because of you, your employees suffer because you start the turning and burning process. That's not called progress. You have created and hit, your own glass ceiling, carry on the way you are and you're going to break it bringing it all down on your own heads. There is so much more to be said but I know as well as anybody that still works there, I'd just be pissing in the wind!

There are newer employer reviews for Cycle Gear