Cycle Gear

www.cyclegear.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Cycle Gear

Helped me get a career in the motorcycle industry

Former Employee - Team Leader
Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learned a lot while being employed with Cycle Gear. Not just from a product knowledge standpoint, but from store management, development, sales tactics that I still use to this very day. Team Leaders will get the benefit of traveling to meetings for product presentations from the manufacturers themselves in some great locations. Excellent team building experiences and cool motorcycle related functions. And yes, the employee discount was great.

Cons

Only reason I left was to explore my options in the industry. I got to do a lot with Cycle Gear and loved every minute of it, but I felt my progression grounded to a halt at the team leader level. I personally wanted more, but found it very difficult to progress past that level. It is true what the other reviewers saying about the corporate changes. Became very focused on the money and not as much towards the riders as they were when I started. Having said that, I understood what the goal was and how they wanted to achieve it. I personally did not agree with it, so I decided to move my career on. I have no ill feelings towards Cycle Gear and still have friends there, both in store and in the corporate office. I still thank them for helping me in my career and to embrace the sport of motorcycling.

If you are a team leader, follow the goals set forth by corporate and execute them as best as possible. That is your job and what is expected of you. If you don't like that, do as I did and leave. People compare them to big corporations, but they wouldn't be there if they did not follow that model and become the only chain of stores of their kind. As far as corporate goes, only suggestion I would make to them is continue what you are doing. You are America's Number #1 Retailer for a reason. As I have progressed and been out of the stores for a while now, I can totally understand why. Looking back, I am proud to have worked for Cycle Gear and enjoyed my time there. Thank you.

39 Other Employee Reviews for Cycle Gear (View Most Recent)

Used to be fun, relaxed but corporate got involved

Former Employee - Key Holder in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The discount is good if you have a motorcycle. Coworkers are generally the same as you, working to use the discount and make some pay but definitely everyone knew they weren't trying to make a career out of it.

Cons

Corporate got more involved towards the end of my time. Work became more about the numbers and meeting quotas rather than enjoying what we were doing. Discounts got worse, bonuses were harder to come by but I guess you can attribute that to the economy a bit.

Treat your employees better

Great place to work

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1st let me say this...anyone that complains about working at cyclegear will complain about any job that requires you to work hard and take pride in something...the problem with most motorcyclist that come to work for cycle gear is that they have no retail experience and when givin a chance most of them just want to chat about bikes all day and get paid for it...most guys get in and dnt take the training serious and dnt realize how much they dnt knw until they have that customer that has tons of questions and they dnt knw any of the answers...I've been in retail for a long time and I have to give cyclegear credit for doing it correctly...from the top dwn they treat and care about all of there employees...and as far as the bilt brand goes...it's our job to qualify the customer so that they make an informed buying desicion...we are never told to push any brand on to our customers...it's true that we dnt hold on to bad or consistent bottom performers ...but what business does? This is a great place to work and all of my employees are like family

Cons

We have to move a little faster with the new technology some of the things we do are out of date

Continue yo advance our exclusive brands

There are newer employer reviews for Cycle Gear