Cycle Gear

www.cyclegear.com
  www.cyclegear.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cycle Gear

Unreasonable sales goals, rampant ageism, greediness, and more

Former Employee - Sales
Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount is alright and some of the customers and fellow staff can be friendly and charming. You could make some connections here if you play your cards right.

Cons

The amount of used helmets that are on the shelves/up for sale is disgusting. Their 7 day helmet guarantee finds customers returning their used helmets and MOST of these returned helmets end up back on the sales floor.

In addition, the unrealistic sales goals, excessive promotion and incentives regarding their exclusive brands is disappointing. The Bilt merchandise makes the Frank Thomas brand seem high end in comparison.

Management and fellow sales associates can be downright nasty when it comes to taking customers (and therefore commissions) from you. There are so many shady tactics and inconsistent treatment of transactions. For a mega million dollar chain, there is hardly anything is done to deter theft, both internal and external.

This company doesn't want to pay its employees what they're worth and as a result, most of their employees are 25 and under, without a lot of knowledge of motorcycles, gear, or the industry as a whole.

Cycle Gear prides themselves on customer service and bending over backwards for the customer so much that they will let their customers return anything that has been used, no matter what the timeframe.

Get your act together or you really are going to be the Walmart of motorcycle retailers, as a previous reviewer mentioned. Visit your stores more often to see what actually goes on during the day-to-day operations. The safety and happiness of your employees will help you if you are to be successful with your plans for expansion. There is so much theft going on via many different methods that you might want to have build a serious loss prevention department. It would certainly help your profit margins.

31 Other Employee Reviews for Cycle Gear (View Most Recent)

Helped me get a career in the motorcycle industry

Former Employee - Team Leader
    Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learned a lot while being employed with Cycle Gear. Not just from a product knowledge standpoint, but from store management, development, sales tactics that I still use to this very day. Team Leaders will get the benefit of traveling to meetings for product presentations from the manufacturers themselves in some great locations. Excellent team building experiences and cool motorcycle related functions. And yes, the employee discount was great.

Cons

Only reason I left was to explore my options in the industry. I got to do a lot with Cycle Gear and loved every minute of it, but I felt my progression grounded to a halt at the team leader level. I personally wanted more, but found it very difficult to progress past that level. It is true what the other reviewers saying about the corporate changes. Became very focused on the money and not as much towards the riders as they were when I started. Having said that, I understood what the goal was and how they wanted to achieve it. I personally did not agree with it, so I decided to move my career on. I have no ill feelings towards Cycle Gear and still have friends there, both in store and in the corporate office. I still thank them for helping me in my career and to embrace the sport of motorcycling.

If you are a team leader, follow the goals set forth by corporate and execute them as best as possible. That is your job and what is expected of you. If you don't like that, do as I did and leave. People compare them to big corporations, but they wouldn't be there if they did not follow that model and become the only chain of stores of their kind. As far as corporate goes, only suggestion I would make to them is continue what you are doing. You are America's Number #1 Retailer for a reason. As I have progressed and been out of the stores for a while now, I can totally understand why. Looking back, I am proud to have worked for Cycle Gear and enjoyed my time there. Thank you.

Used to be fun, relaxed but corporate got involved

Former Employee - Key Holder in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount is good if you have a motorcycle. Coworkers are generally the same as you, working to use the discount and make some pay but definitely everyone knew they weren't trying to make a career out of it.

Cons

Corporate got more involved towards the end of my time. Work became more about the numbers and meeting quotas rather than enjoying what we were doing. Discounts got worse, bonuses were harder to come by but I guess you can attribute that to the economy a bit.

Treat your employees better