Cypress - No Rest for the Weary

Current Employee - Finance in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Finance in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cypress Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn a ton in a short amount of time. You will always be expected to work at 1 - 2 grade levels above your pay grade, which means you will develop a lot of useful skills that you can take elsewhere (and use to negotiate a better title & salary at your new company).

Cons

Expect to be worked to death. I spent the last 2 years working 12 hours a day without letup. There are no ebbs and flows; rather, it's like being forced to drink from a fire hose constantly. The problem is the company's near-obsessive focus on OPEX - the number of employees kept on the payroll is the absolute bare bones required to keep this place from collapsing. You will be expected to do the work of 1.5 - 2 people, simply because the company doesn't want to pay 1.5 - 2 people. Because of the unrelenting pace of the work, Cypress tends not to be a place where women thrive. Very little work/life balance. Take a look around - in any given Ops Review, there might be 4 women present in a room of 75+ people. There are literally 3 women in executive-level positions here.

Advice to Management

Pointless. Management doesn't listen to suggestions @ Cypress.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Agressive Scheduling

Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cypress Semiconductor

Pros

I am very fond of my hardworking coworkers at Cypress, and find it to be a challenging place to work.

Cons

There is too much process and corporate policy which prevents the important work from being done. This prevents us from doing what we do well.

Advice to Management

Create realistic schedules and use the engineers to do more engineering. I feel that it is common to find a high paid engineer doing work that could be performed by an intern.

learn a lot about the immediate work environment but not of other job functions essential to the company's success

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Cypress Semiconductor

Pros

Learn a lot of from peers and managers. Good sharing environment.

Cons

As with many large companies, difficult to learn about other divisions / job functions that help make the company successful

Advice to Management

Offer more cross functional training - allow it fit into normal work hours ie do not make current job function 100% of the employee's time.