There are newer employer reviews for DCH Health System

Good Culture

I have been working at DCH Health System part-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is friendly
Great culture
The food
Excellent training
Willingness to help
Can relocate to another dept after a year
Beautiful women

Cons

Too much cafeteria food and get fat
Scheduling can sometimes suck
Holiday working
Not too many cons, DCH is a great place to work

6 Other Employee Reviews for DCH Health System (View Most Recent)

Was A good place work

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse  in  Carrollton, AL
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Carrollton, AL

I have been working at DCH Health System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Short travel time Close to my home

Cons

No good benefits, many changes goin on

Maybe it's Industry-wide for Healthcare.... (RN point of view)

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Tuscaloosa, AL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Tuscaloosa, AL

I have been working at DCH Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- There is generally plenty of job openings, and the interviews (which were brief and generally consisted of few basic questions then right into what the job had to offer me) all led to offers
    - The insurance, from what I've gathered, is competitive
    - Love my co-workers, for the most part
    - Clean environment

Cons

- Received my first raise in over 2 years, came out to about 1.7% of base, at this rate I get up to $20/hr base by the time I have around 10 years experience
    - All floors and departments seem to have total different rules and expectations, depending on their managers goals I assume which leads to....
    - HR policies are "adapted" as each unit "sees fit," almost always to the disadvantage of the employee - our manager never counted "tardies" until somebody would attempt to transfer, then she'd bring them up as a way to hold you or block your move (luckily, I'm never late, but some who are/were habitually late had a problem when new rules are implemented - is it really a rule if it's never enforced?)
    - Responsibilities and job expectations are constantly increasing - and it seems questionable that it could be for the "patient's best interest" - how can taking on more patients with less help and more work required for each be safe? They don't want people at the nurse's desk rather in patient's rooms, yet doctor's expect the phone to be answered and the nurse to be available right away. I could go on forever on this part...

But instead I'll just ask that the people up the chain come float around on some of the floors and see what these changes look like in action - not on paper. It doesn't take an accountant or financial wize to come to the conclusion that "if we get the same work out of fewer employees, we'll save money"; the thing you forget is that the "work" here involves people's lives and the employees' licenses.

How do expect patient satisfaction to be ok when we are having to leave folks on bedpans for 10+ minutes after asking for help up or another patient waiting on pain medicine when the few nurses on the floor are stuck in a room with a bigger problem going on. Not everything is solved by making the seemingly hard decision of cutting experienced nurse's pay and then requiring more work.

Also, manager's should be evaluated more than just on how they do on their budget. I realize, and I'm sure whoever reads this review has come to this conclusion as well, that everything is driven here based on budget now, but maybe interview the employees they manage to get a sense on how they feel they are being managed. It is amazing, floating between the floors, the differences between the same type floor.

Town-hall meetings are nice fluff pieces, kind of like the raise, but actually talk to your employees instead of group them together to "tell them how it is".

There are newer employer reviews for DCH Health System

Worked for DCH Health System? Contribute to the Community!