DIRECTV

There are newer employer reviews for DIRECTV

Great industry interesting work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV

Pros

Interesting work and projects at this time.

Cons

Lack of career advancement in general.

Honor your contracts with your employees so that they feel respected and valuable contribution to the overall wealth and health of the company.

614 Other Employee Reviews for DIRECTV (View Most Recent)

Average, a great place compared to collections, but lacking in managment.

Former Employee - Customer Retention Agent in Huntington, WV
    Former Employee - Customer Retention Agent in Huntington, WV

I worked at DIRECTV

Pros

The training was sufficant to do a decent job, if you get the right trainer, you might even be motivated coming out of the extended training. I loved the PTO rules and how overtime and getting to leave early worked! No room for favoritism, just first come first serve. The managment seems to be very focused on diversity, so the LGBT community please apply for managment! (only slightly exaggerated)

Cons

The inconsistantcy with the 'stats' or QA. The privleged and few QA associates sit on a mountain top, having forgot what it's like being in the trenches, actually having a client on the phone. Unrealistic QA standards is why almost everyone I worked with for over a year is gone, the trend at the time seemed to be transitioning from Cust service to Company service.

Recognize potential in everyone, work with their individualness, allow room for more than just the standard personality. Sometimes getting a different kind of person can succeed with difficult clients where the standard blase individual willnot.

Proud to have worked here!

Former Employee - Senior Developer for Business Intelligence in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Developer for Business Intelligence in Englewood, CO

I worked at DIRECTV

Pros

1. Pay is decent. But not the best. However, the benefits are excellent including a zero deductible medical plan. Who has that anymore?

2. Free DIRECTV to employees!

3. Competent management at a company that does a great job of ensuring security for the future.

4. Management is approachable and easy going for the most part.

5. Well structured company with very clear lines to management from any position.

Cons

Not a lot to say here. Overall, the best company I've worked for by a long shot! I should never have quit! There are a couple of things though.

1. Lots of red tape. Sometimes hard to get things done. To be expected in such a huge company. However, it is rare that a company takes a hard look at this and attempts to make changes. DIRECTV is very good in making improvements and many things got easier with less red-tape the longer I worked there.

2. Dead weight. There are a lot of ill qualified people who work here that just aren't too bright. It takes a long time to get rid of them and some are there still simply due to tenure. I'm sorry, but dead weights really annoy me so I have to mention it!

3. DBAs Hardware support people all of a tude. Typical God complex. However, you can get on a DBA or Admin's good side by one of two ways: a.) go drink with them b.) just be on your a game when you interact with them for any reason. You will earn their respect.

Keep it up! Leadership is doing a wonderful job here!

A few things you could work on:

1. Hire more young blood straight out of college with fresh ideas. There is a lot of transfer in big companies like directv from other large companies. I think DIRECTV could benefit from some young energetic people.

2. It's tough running call centers. You do a great job for the most part. However, I think you could give your employees at that level a lot more benefit of the doubt and respect. Treat them less like highschool students and more like professionals and they will begin to act more like professionals. I used to work in those positions, so I have to be true to where I started and mention how ill treated and ill respected I felt at times. However, with that said - great job at making the call center a fun and exciting environment!

3. Be more proactive in adopting newer technology more quickly. I mean this as an internal comment. Our customers tech is great! However, internally we are outdated in most areas.

4. Force people in administrative roles to be more accommodating and helpful. There are a lot of technical admins with tudes. This should not be tolerated. But unfortunately, they get it from their department managers in many cases.

There are newer employer reviews for DIRECTV