There are newer employer reviews for DIRECTV

highly politicized environment where honesty and openness is at a premium

Former Employee - Director in El Segundo, CA
Former Employee - Director in El Segundo, CA

I worked at DIRECTV

Pros

great people, excellent benefits, collaborative environment, strong sense of corporate identity and an army of committed team players willing to work all hours to achieve a goal or fix a problem.

Cons

empire building at senior management level, lack of integrity (limited to an isolated group/individual) driven by the "blame game", nepotism, ego-centric management style which discounts the input value of employees and teams and leads to stifling of creativity, you are either "in-the-click" or you are nowhere and will go nowhere.

Advice to Management

Integrity is not something you simply pay lip service to.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The pace is manageable and reward OK

Current Employee - Principal Engineer II in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer II in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV

Pros

Flexible hours and telecommuting, which are generally permitted for engineers

Cons

bureaucracy. People manage what they don't understand.

Advice to Management

Value technological talent over bureaucracy. Managers spend too much effort dealing with politics, not real issues.

Swimming through a mist of confusion in a sea of uncertainty.

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Intern in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence Intern in El Segundo, CA

I worked at DIRECTV

Pros

Good pay.
    Flexible hours.
    Polite to employees and co-workers.

Cons

No designated point-of-contacts within departments / teams.
    Lack of transparent expectations regarding work performance and project outcomes.
    Lack of organization among workers and managers.
    Resistance by employees to openly collaborate with co-workers on projects for which they have not been assigned to.
    Polite to employees and co-workers to the point of avoiding conflict necessary to brainstorming and problem resolution.

Advice to Management

Upon initial entry into the internship program everything went smoothly. The Human Resources people in charge of the program were very organized and thorough in their presentation of the company, paperwork, and expectations of the interns. The presentation took about 4 hours, after which we were to be picked up by a representative of the department.

Like a child waiting for a parent who had forgotten to pick their kid up after school I was the last one to meet the rep from my department who came an hour late. Once I was brought into the department the gave me a desk, however they had forgotten to request a computer and informed me that the entire staff had an offsite activity to attend to and that one of the contractors would show me some of the softwares and after that I could go for the day.

The first day being a bust, I came in the second day whereby they loaned me a spare computer from one of the other staff until the request they put in for the new computer came in. It took a month to receive that computer.

During the first two weeks some of the staff met with me to explain the parts of what they did as a company however many of them were disorganized and did not have any materials of which I could keep and reference for further questions. Furthermore they tended to use acronyms that I was not accustomed to, many of which were specific to the company, thus utterly confusing me about how things operate.

Along with that, the project that I was assigned to do required certain software applications that I did not have and it took the whole first two weeks to acquire all of the necessary interfaces and access grants necessary to begin work mainly due to the fact that no one had a clue about where, who, or how to get the applications necessary to install on my computer, which was further complicated by the fact that there was no one who could show me how to install the softwares and was left on my own to figure that out.

Once the software was installed I relied heavily on the person I shared the office with to help me learn how to use the tools since my managers either did not know either how to use them or how to explain how to use them and insisted that I just watch them without a clear understanding what I was watching them do. Luckily my officemate was kind enough to take time out of her work to aide me with my problem.

Due to the nature of my project requiring heavy amounts of research it was necessary for me to comb through documentation in order to fill in knowledge gaps. However, for years there had been a problem with analysts in the department not providing the necessary documentation and therefore I could only rely on what was documented to fulfill part of my research.

For that reason, I had to spend alot of time trying to get information out of the people who worked in that deparment. However, many of the people in the department were secretive or dismissive towards helping me pick their brain for the necessary information required for my project.

However, this did not deter me and I continually asked these people for information regardless of the fact that most of the time they treated me as if I was bothering them.

Eventually, I was brought on as a contractor which lasted about seven months before my project was cut and I was let go.

So my advice to DIRECTV would be to cut the barriers to communication that exist by breaking down procedural barriers (ie. service desk tickets for questions) between departments and mandating that there always be a designated and well known point-of-contact for each department and reprimanding any employee who shows resistance whether active or passive to answering the questions of others within the company and within the scope of the fellow employees right to know.