A challenging experience

Current Employee - Install Technician  in  Cotati, CA
Current Employee - Install Technician in Cotati, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to work for. Excellent benefits and carrier opportunities. The fact that you don't have a supervisor looking over your shoulder every time you turn around makes this job an A+ alone. There are also new challenges everyday. Which I love a good challenge. You don't have to be in an office 8 hrs a day everyday 5/6 days a week.

Cons

Pay is decent but unfair. They make you do certain things and say it's part of your job but they don't pay you for it. For example, they tell you you must go to mandatory meetings but as a production technician you don't get paid. They call it administrative time. They also calculate a time to complete a job and it determines how much pay you receive after completion. 99% of the time it benefits the company and not the installer.

Just let the technicians do their jobs.

Other Reviews for DIRECTV

Watch Your Back - You May Find A Knife Strategically Placed

Former Employee - IT Principal Analyst  in  El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - IT Principal Analyst in El Segundo, CA

I worked at DIRECTV full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked with some amazing people. All employees get free DiRECTV. The overall benefits were good.

Cons

I worked with some horrible people. Constantly shifting organizational structure, no real advancement benefits, Sr. management were the only ones being promoted, less than cost of living wage increases, horrible HR department. Although it is one company, the business units exist as separate entities, which makes it difficult to have any uniformity in procedures and processes.

Value your employees. They are he ones who ultimately drive your success. Be fair and impartial. Just dint take the word of the manager blindly.

Good exposure but questionable job security

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Associate  in  El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Associate in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you want to be in the entertainment business, many positions at Directv offer exposure to television networks, content producers and sports leagues. The work/life balance was good and you get free tv. There are a lot of good people working at this company and it is as much a technology company as it is a television company. The current CEO was there for a year before I left and I was impressed by the positive cultural shifts he was able to make in such a short time.

Cons

There is a very top down approach and constant restructuring, which means layoffs of good people. It really depends on your boss if you have a good experience here. A large portion of the staff is hired on contract, which was bad for employee morale because they are not allowed the same privileges as the full employees.

There are newer employer reviews for DIRECTV.

Worked for DIRECTV? Contribute to the Community!