There are newer employer reviews for DISH

A continuing downward spiral of terrible upper management choices.

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist IV  in  Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Field Service Specialist IV in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

For the first two years things we great, lots of hours good pay. I happen to have a manager that stands up for me and tries to keep the corporate BS away from the techs. I am one of the few techs that gets to do out of market trips.

Cons

In the last three years the VPs have been on this rampage of nit picking the entire office to the point where managers have to be in the office instead of in the field with their techs.

Examples:
Posters on the wall where hung with nails/ thumb tacks. They were forced to use 2 sided tape.
Patches in the wall had to be redone (just weeks after the wall was fixed) because the texture on the patch did not match perfectly to the rest of the wall.
Lags holding a dish up had to be turned so the letters were all facing the same direction.

The list goes on and on. Plus on top of that the last time they came out they showed up dunk and hung over to the point they could barely do an inspection for 20 min.

The inspections are another issue, it is all smoke and mirrors. They do tool audits (if there is any dirt in your tool bag it is an instant fail), Van audits (if there are signs that someone worked out of the van then it is a fail) and the list still goes on.

Pay/ Benefits: In my office we have not had a cost of living increase for 6 years. Year after year it is said that we will get one. Last year every office to the south of us got a cost of living but not us. I can change to an office 70 min away instead of 15 min away and get a 3 dollar and hr raise.

The benefits are through Cigna, There is a 2500 dollar deductible and then you still must cover 20% after your deductible is reached.

Advancement: Good luck, After you realize that you want to stop being a tech there is almost no chance for you to advance, unless you are in good with all of the hiring managers. its a popularity game and be prepared to get dirty to win.

CSAT: Dish's CSAT is setup to make techs FAIL, the scale is a 1-10 but if a cust entered a 7 then the system changes it to a 0. Dish also wants your scores to be over 9.8. so if you get anything below a 10 its pretty much an instant fail. If your numbers are to low then you get fired (or upgraded) they do this off of your YTD average, but not off of all of your CSAT scores, but off of the average of each month. So if I get one 10 score each month I am perfect, but if I get 11 scores of 10 one month and one score of 4 another then my YTD score is a 7. which is a fail. Instead of a 9.5.

I find Joe knows what he is doing but there is a huge disconnect between him and the techs. I think the VPs are so board that they are trying to find anything to do to make them look busy. All this does is add more work for managers as well as the techs.

Look inside your company to hire, it is so hard to be a tech and see that the last 2 GMs hired worked at Circuit City, and Home Depot!! All this does is confirm that the upper management knows nothing of what it is like to be in the field.

1753 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

Stressful

Former Employee - Field Technician  in  Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Field Technician in Riverside, CA

I worked at DISH full-time for less than a year

Pros

the pay at dish is good and if you are a technician you work four 10 hour days

Cons

10 hour days turn into 16 hour days so no time for kids

know how it is to be a tech before critizing

Can never get over a decade of my life back

Former Employee - Field Service Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some great people work(ed) here. Pay is just enough to keep you from leaving for any other job.

Cons

Pay is never enough to make you happy, and not enough to make you feel valued. Annual reviews are a joke giving things like 0.98% pay increases. No such thing as merit increases for an employee that goes above and beyond. Installation division is full of Type A and everything done based on someones ego - not the actual needs. Division cares more about how the techs look and where things are in their van, instead of how a system is actually installed. Call center environment is based more on who you know than what you know.. promotions are based on favors in lieu of skills. The GM's and managers follow the director around like little ducklings quacking about what to do for 'lunch'.

Look back on how the company got 'here'. The people that did it are mostly gone these days. I realize that the company is no longer the small company it was - but that is the attitude that helped the company grow. The fact that so many of the people that helped built up the company have left in the last few years should set of some sort of an alarm

There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!