A continuing downward spiral of terrible upper management choices.

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist IV  in  Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Field Service Specialist IV in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

For the first two years things we great, lots of hours good pay. I happen to have a manager that stands up for me and tries to keep the corporate BS away from the techs. I am one of the few techs that gets to do out of market trips.

Cons

In the last three years the VPs have been on this rampage of nit picking the entire office to the point where managers have to be in the office instead of in the field with their techs.

Examples:
Posters on the wall where hung with nails/ thumb tacks. They were forced to use 2 sided tape.
Patches in the wall had to be redone (just weeks after the wall was fixed) because the texture on the patch did not match perfectly to the rest of the wall.
Lags holding a dish up had to be turned so the letters were all facing the same direction.

The list goes on and on. Plus on top of that the last time they came out they showed up dunk and hung over to the point they could barely do an inspection for 20 min.

The inspections are another issue, it is all smoke and mirrors. They do tool audits (if there is any dirt in your tool bag it is an instant fail), Van audits (if there are signs that someone worked out of the van then it is a fail) and the list still goes on.

Pay/ Benefits: In my office we have not had a cost of living increase for 6 years. Year after year it is said that we will get one. Last year every office to the south of us got a cost of living but not us. I can change to an office 70 min away instead of 15 min away and get a 3 dollar and hr raise.

The benefits are through Cigna, There is a 2500 dollar deductible and then you still must cover 20% after your deductible is reached.

Advancement: Good luck, After you realize that you want to stop being a tech there is almost no chance for you to advance, unless you are in good with all of the hiring managers. its a popularity game and be prepared to get dirty to win.

CSAT: Dish's CSAT is setup to make techs FAIL, the scale is a 1-10 but if a cust entered a 7 then the system changes it to a 0. Dish also wants your scores to be over 9.8. so if you get anything below a 10 its pretty much an instant fail. If your numbers are to low then you get fired (or upgraded) they do this off of your YTD average, but not off of all of your CSAT scores, but off of the average of each month. So if I get one 10 score each month I am perfect, but if I get 11 scores of 10 one month and one score of 4 another then my YTD score is a 7. which is a fail. Instead of a 9.5.

I find Joe knows what he is doing but there is a huge disconnect between him and the techs. I think the VPs are so board that they are trying to find anything to do to make them look busy. All this does is add more work for managers as well as the techs.

Look inside your company to hire, it is so hard to be a tech and see that the last 2 GMs hired worked at Circuit City, and Home Depot!! All this does is confirm that the upper management knows nothing of what it is like to be in the field.

Other Reviews for DISH

Treated like garbage

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Flushing, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Flushing, NY

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people I work with are the ones that keep the day going

Cons

Many coaches and management just lie to you and treat you like dirt for doing your job, the good work you do doesnt matter at all, they dont remember the hard work you put in to get the good numbers. all they remember and all they care about is when you get that bad score once in a while and thats when they go all crazy at you because they dont care about your p4p, they just care about their own money and its not like they will remember all your hard work that you helped them out with before that.

you guys need to develop a soul and not treat the workers like slaves

I enjoy working at Dish, but new Management has made it more difficult to do the job.

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist  in  Manteca, CA
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist in Manteca, CA

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I get to experience something new every day with different customers and installing on different type of homes. I also get to work alongside good hard-working people who express the same feelings about the company as I do, which makes dealing with everything a whole lot easier.

Cons

The main issue that I have with Dish is that the atmosphere and communication with Management needs to change.

Management is really out of touch with what’s going on out in the field. When we try to explain the issues that causes us not to hit our metrics, their reply is “We’ll, look at that technician over there, he’s doing it and you should be able to do it also!” We’ll...Management needs to understand that sometimes you have your good days and then your bad days. To them, everything looks easy to do when it’s written on a Job Aid, but when you ask them to come out and put a tool bag on, they stare at you with a blank expression with fear in their eyes knowing that they can’t do what we do every day.

The other issue that I have is that the IM (Installation Manager) is now informing us to lie and trick our customers into buying products from the Dish Home Services Brochure. We’ll, unlike him some of us have moral values and choose not to lie to our customers just to make a sale. I like to do things the honest way and if I get written up or fired for it, then so be it…at least I can leave the company with some dignity. Also, pushing sales have gone way overboard, each and every day I make an attempt to sell something to every customer and Management is still harassing me like I haven’t tried to do so all month. I have to hear about it every morning and also when I come back to the office at night. If they really want to see a sales boost, then Management should come out to the field and use their dirty tactics to our customers since I won’t be doing it.

Also, let’s talk about politics. There’s been people let go within the last year and some of them didn’t deserve it since they had better metrics then some of the people that are still working here. At times, it feels like, if you’re not brown nosing or talking to certain people in Management then your job is at risk. Some of my peers have gone out of their way to purposely make small talk with Management everyday just for job security reasons and it seems to be working.

In all honestly, I have no issues with following new processes or doing more additional tasks. It’s all about how you deliver the message of what we need to do and who it’s coming from. If any of my longtime FSM’s (Field Service Managers) wanted me to do something, I would have no problem with doing what they ask of me since I trust and respect them. For any other management that has come along, I can careless of what they ask of me since they haven’t built that trust and haven’t gained my respect. They have all come off in the beginning as self-centered and have not showed that they are truly there to support us.

I understand that people have to play a certain role when they get to a certain position in a company. But let’s be real about it, you should work with the people around you and get to know and understand them instead of coming off as someone who only cares about the metrics.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!