There are newer employer reviews for DISH

It's a job.

Current Employee - Floor Agent  in  Mesa, AZ
Current Employee - Floor Agent in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love the fact you have a team...over a time period you feel like you are family. :) I like that I am 21 and make more money than most adults in the area. I love talking to customers and helping people! I enjoy what I do. :) I believe that customer service is a hard job. Long hours, hard calls, demanding mental drainage. You knew what you signed up for as soon as you started training. You are given pretty amazing tools to help you & the customer. :) Not to mention you get free dish...:) I think coaches are exceptional. They have been the reasoning behind not giving up. they smile & tell you that it'll be okay. ;) a lot of love & support.

Cons

The hours. I see my co-workers more often than anything else. I hate that we are the very last people to know anything. We usually don't find out until the day of that something has changed. It's difficult to take the verbal abuse from customers, but then again that is expected. I don't like that we get "jean passes" for days when managers know the calls are going to be very difficult due to a major change. I hate that every single day that you walk in you don't know if you're going to be taken into a small back room & given a box to retrieve your things. It's stressful! I don't think I have ever had a job this demanding. You have to satisfy a customer, give all disclosures, update account information,, upsell them something, tell them about online features & get cursed out within a 6-7 min period. (depending on call type.)

Please, acknowledge that people work hard for you. Some people actually care about the company, co-workers, and also customers very much! If you keep pushing harder & harder to make more money the good customer service rep's you already have may find employment someplace else. I understand money is important, it is business. Just take that into account, please!

1765 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

A Field Service Manager usually makes less than a starting tech when you take in the hours worked.

Current Employee - Field Service Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Field Service Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is decent and the company is good to work for, hard work is usually recognized. The local teams are great people to work with, they keep you going.

Cons

Day starts at 6 AM and ends well ??? sometime between 7 and 11 PM. Fourteen hour days are a weekly thing for an FSM, No holidays or holiday pay. Basically you don't exist to your family during the days you work. Everybody ends up burned out. You don't have to fire FSMs they step down or quit on their own within time. Honestly FSS4 is so much more worth it (more pay and far less stress.)

Everything is modeled from Colorado, unfortunately that doesn't work for the entire US. The northwest is a challenge to work in but nobody cares, and we are held to the same standards and metrics as offices in much easier areas to work in (short drive times, small trees and high elevation on the Satellites.) My challenge is take your "star" techs put them in the northwest ( tall trees, lowest elevation and horrible drive times) and we will see how stars they really are. Ask these "great offices" when was the last time they did a three dish, three pole solution. That's pretty normal in the northwest, but our goals are the same; definitely not fair.

Decent Paying Job for the Area I'm in, rough job in many ways

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative  in  Christiansburg, VA
    Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Christiansburg, VA

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have been employed by dish for quite a few years, I have worked very hard at what I do, I know my job well & up until recently enjoyed what I do daily.
    Initially when I was hired I was very grateful to have a job which paid well over minimum wage.
    I credit my job with Dish as saving my & my 3 children's lives as I was in a bad situation when I began there, less than a year after my ex husband walked out on us & failed to pay even a cent of child support.
    Through working at Dish I not only took us out of poverty, off medicaid & food stamps (which we were on all the time I was married to my ex I might add) I also bought a house for us to live in as opposed to the rental trailer my ex left us in. I have prospered.
    My ex & others who used to walk all over me have stopped trying to do so because I learned how to stand up for myself & speak my piece through my work at Dish.

Cons

The nature of the job is frustrating, inbound or outbound, call center work is not an easy job.
    Add to that the attitude of everyone in management that not only should we be able to do anything & everything a customer needs done in under 10 minutes, we should also make sure they have a pin #, an email address, know all about the company's website & buy some more programming.

The company is short on foresight & long on flavor of the day. I have worked in the past for other large, fortune 500 companies & never have I seen so much evidence of the right hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Changes are often instigated with little or no warning & often are reversed in just a few weeks or months often quietly, with little fanfare so suddenly you find out you're doing something wrong which you are sure you were doing correctly. This is especially nerve-wracking as it can spell termination in some cases.
    The latest change, the insistence that we try to sell every single person we speak to yet more programming is especially frustrating, customers being told that they will receive a replacement piece of equipment in 3 to 5 days & then asked if they'd like to add HBO tonight are seldom receptive to the offer and often quite verbally abusive & give very poor marks in the inevitable customer satisfaction survey which follows most calls. Supervisors insist to you when you try to point out that being sold to when their equipment is not working might not be a way to inspire happiness in customers, that if you just put the right spin on it, the customers will feel they're getting something great & be so glad you offered it to them.
    The attitude that you are expendable is very prevalent from immediate supervisors up to the director & higher ups who come & visit from time to time.

Adopt more family friendly attitudes, realize your employees are not nameless drones to work to death or until they find something else & then replaced by yet more nameless drones.
    You have a reputation in the area for grinding people up & spitting them out, it is well deserved.
    I have read most of the surveys on this site in regards to my company & while many are from techs in the field & management so I can't necessarily relate to them, it is obvious that the current business practices are not making many anyone happy, other than those at the very top. Happy workers make successful business, unhappy ones ruin businesses.
    The HR people are clueless jokes. However they are somewhat better than 5 or 6 years ago when they were actively mean & rude.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!