Could be MUCH better

Current Employee - Field Service Coordinator in Tulsa, OK
Current Employee - Field Service Coordinator in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't complain too much about the pay

Cons

They are turning this "One more" initiative into a "One more too many". In my department, instead of being proactive, we merely deal with the daily struggles of coordinating our burned out techs in ridiculously over-routed areas while telling the customer our techs are "running behind" when we should be telling them that they are lucky if they are seen because we book more jobs than the techs can handle. Days are often made much for difficult and stressful because every tech must be booked to the gills with work, leaving no wiggle room for the variables that play out in the field. Dish employees are held to metrics that are often unrealistic, unreliable, and the majority of the metrics are out of the employee's control. Work place gets real stressful. there is an ambulance at the call center at least once a month hauling an employee out on a stretcher. I have had days I felt I could be one of them.

Advice to Management

Joe, WAKE UP! how are you surprised? Of course, the people are around you are going to tell you everything is peachy! Have you been a CEO for so long that you actually think that everything you see is real? Make an unannounced appearance at some of these call centers.....I guarantee you will see something completely different.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

This is a low-cost TV provider, meaning compensation is low, but internal opportunities are high.

Current Employee - Analyst in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large company, locations across the US. Always opportunities to advance for motivated employees. People who don't complain have job security. DISH is always hiring, and getting your foot in the door is fairly easy. New CEO Joe Clayton is charismatic and seems to want to improve Sales and overall morale. He is a lot more public and transparent then Ergen. Shortly after he took over, 10% of the workforce was let go. There were complaints, but, in reality, he did a good job of cutting the fat away. Most of those fired were underachievers. Since then, more capable employees have been hired and it seems to be making a difference. Free TV! DISH is attempting to launch a mobile phone/data operation by 2016, which will help the company survive in the wake of saturation of the traditional TV marketplace.

Cons

Low pay. Previously had good benefits, but those were slashed in 2007. Historically micro-managed by former CEO Charlie Ergen, hence the bad reputation. Inflexible schedules and lunch times. Laptops are given to on-call employees, but working regular shifts from home is not allowed. I have to pay $6 a month for DVR service - this is a little nickel-and-dimey :( Overall, "new" is rewarded while loyalty is not. This is is a big reason lots of people begin their careers at DISH, only to move on to better pastures when they've gained suitable experience.

Advice to Management

Constant turnover may seem like a good way to keep pay and costs down, but it really just bleeds valuable talent. It's time to care more about the talented people who know what they're doing. Same for customers.

Stressful

Former Employee - Dish Network Installer in Lacey, WA
    Former Employee - Dish Network Installer in Lacey, WA

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay wasn't bad, generally the people and local management aren't too bad

Cons

Meeting expected metrics can be a hassle, and training is a joke

Advice to Management

Do not waste tech/customer's time by replacing perfectly good cable just because it says Directv on it...customers never look at it. Also a customers idea of 10 out of 10 service isn't what corporate thinks it should be.