DISH

www.dish.com
  www.dish.com
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

This job is not for everyone.

Current Employee - Field Service Manager
Current Employee - Field Service Manager

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities to advance and expand throughout the nation.

Cons

Work can be stressful, goals can be unattainable and directives can sometimes not make any sense.

Make it an uplifting experience to working here. The stress and frustration of managment can affect direct reports greatly!

1889 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

The truth of it all

Current Employee - FSS-IV
    Current Employee - FSS-IV

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When there is no mandatory overtime you get a long three day weekend with four 10-12 hr days. I like some of the people I work with. Pay is ok if you manage to sneak through the promotion process. Get to meet lots of different people and go lots of places.

Cons

Drastic changes in hours on a week to week basis. Changes in process and procedures without the knowledge of how to fulfill new obligations or the tools to work them out. Just the other day when training on a new service they told us that it would be launched the 1st of a certain month and the tools to do the job will not come in for another two weeks after that, in the mean time we are to use our personal equipment to get the job done (which I might mention is a fire-able offense... using our own tools that is), Insurance is pretty bad, management only cares about you if it concerns your numbers.

COMPLETE and utter lack of communication.

They say as long as you try to sell our new products to our customers then that's ok, but when you don't sell because our products are drastically overpriced (for the most part) or just too expensive for the basic customer (myself included) then they get mad at you and proceed to make your life as miserable as can be until the numbers get where they are supposed to be. (Example - Just the other day, 5 days into the month we were already half way to our goal, we were chewed out because we weren't trying and told how we just weren't doing our job... that was a very kind translation of what was said) This is coming from an office that leads our company in sales quite frequently and almost always doubles or triples our office goals.

The "metrics" that they used to affect promotions and our incentive pay are based as much on chance as it is on our own efforts. Of course management see's this as us complaining and being childish when we express our concerns to their deaf ears. When we voice our concerns we are ignored, given an answer to simply pacify us and send us on our way, or outright ridiculed and told we are just whiny and need to do our job whatever it is. I will be the first to admit that dish employees have come to complain an awful lot. Its not right and we should hold ourselves with more dignity and behave better, but most of this attitude has been cultivated by a company and management style that has forced us into a corner where we are consistently abused and mistreated or at best ignored.

I have been around for a while with this company and am considered a senior technician. I could write a novel on what this company doesn't do right, and a very small paper on what it manages to do correctly. Stories that you honestly wouldn't believe because it just sounds too far fetched for any right minded business to do. I can't tell you how many times I have come home at the end of the day, exhausted by the 150 degree attics or the freezing weather we work in, and when I walk in the door my wife sees a vacant expression on my face as I cannot fathom how a company who expects us to do so much manages to treat us so poorly.

As I said, I have been at this company for 6 years. I am a Lvl 4 Technician and get paid fairly well. I am trained in every certification and qualification that is allotted to a technician. I am Quam certified, Comercial certified, Dishnet certified (wild blue and hughes), I am a Smart Home Services Tech, I am a trainer, I have helped start offices, participated in hurricane relief, participated in countless out of market trips, been a remote technician, helped perform managerial duties when needed, etc, etc, etc... and I would leave at the drop of a hat if the opportunity arose.

Its about the almighty dollar. It always has been. It always will be. But if you truly want to succeed as a major and ultimately successfull business that makes money hand over fist then find a way to with respect and follow through with new procedures that are fair for those that make the money for you.
       Things aren't right, the fact that we are labeled as the worst job in America, even though there are many worse jobs, should at least open your eyes and realize that changes, DRASTIC changes need to be made, and soon.
      And here is a secret: I want to like my job. I want to like THIS job. Please help me do that.

Worst company to work for

Current Employee - Field Service Technician
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

NONE If You like to be micro managed and no matter what you do is never good enough then this is the place for you

Cons

For instance…Customer will get a call to find out how satisfied they are with you and your work….a score of 9.5 out of 10 is a fail…so if a customer gives you a 9 on one ? and a 7 on another, you have failed…and the GM will wonder why you did not score a 10 on all ?’s. on the automated survey if a customer wishes to score you a 10 on a ?, they must press (0)…not (10)…so some people make a mistake and press 10 to try to give you a score of 10 instead of (0)….this give you a score of (1) on that / and there is no way you can pass the survey….and there is no way you can get out of that score, it is a fail, even if they correctly score you a 10 on every other ?, you still fail. This survey is tied to your performance and pay.
    This is just one example…..if a job cancels before you get to the job, customer is not home, you cannot get line of sight, lives in an apartment that does not allow Dish, or the work order is wrong, it counts against you, effects your performance, and pay. If you get a trouble call on a job that you have completed, such as bad equipment, customer caused, it counts against you, affects your performance and pay. There are many more polices like this.

Stay at Dish…..you could never make it in the real world.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH