DISH

www.dish.com
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Momma always told me "If you cant say something nice, don't say anything at all"

Former Employee - Cube Occupier At Hq in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Cube Occupier At Hq in Denver, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good breakfast burrito in the cafe at meridian. Fellow employees work incredibly hard and are also suffering in the company. Many good employees wasted by a bad company.

Cons

*crickets* ... ok... well this would be too short to hit the 20 word minimum if I listened to momma.
The pay was low.. hours were long... management populated with pointy-haired bosses.
The environment is one in which you will be used up, and when finally the last bit of utility is beat out of you they will fire you.
They automatically fire 10% of the workforce yearly sometimes a higher percent and if you're here long enough you're either:
1) drinking the koolaid of management and have learned to treat employees poorly or
2) you're on the list to be fired.
If you're lucky you quit and find a job elsewhere before this happens.

Quit. You're part of a poisonous environment and before the last shreds of humanity and/or skill in management are wasted out of you, go find a job where you can use your talents for good instead of evil.

1955 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

Worst? Yes and No

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II in Chanhassen, MN
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, plenty of overtime if you want it or even if you don't, there's some great people to work with.

Cons

I've been sitting at my computer typing and retyping my frustrations for over an hour. I'm just going to go one at a time and see how long it takes.

Management - numbers, numbers, numbers - it's all they care about.

Metrics....
    PPH - productivity = do more in less time
    Completion Percentage - usually out of your control but what the hell graded on it anyway
    CSATs - Happy customer = good Unhappy customer = bad regarless if it's your fault
    TC12s - usually something the customer did but you still get dinged for it
    Connectivity - usually out of your control also but, it's still your fault
    Signal Strength - Only one that is in your control however' if you get a 69 instead of a 70 you get a fail

Routes and Field Resources - not done right and usually FRCs are overworked as much as the techs but trying to make the day go smoothly is a chore

Smart Home Sales - selling customers overpriced products and services you wouldn't buy yourself (it's all about profit and not the customer)

Working Holidays - really people can't go 1 day without TV anymore? Having worked almost evey holiday this past year including Xmas eve/day New Year's eve/day and having customers tell me I should be home with my family and not working really makes you wonder what is corporate thinking about when they're at home with their families while we're out working those days. Profit is my guess.

Training - basics are taught well enough for you to get a start but if you run across anything out of the ordinary you have no idea what to do. This includes new products and services you get told about and get a quick 5 minute rundown and off you go.

Communication - poor to begin with and getting worse with the launch of the Notes making it almost impossible to get any information received or conveyed.

Management - have to mention again for one reason, they focus more on the 1 bad than they do the 99 good.

I could go on all day but I think these are the major reasons why we feel this way.

Try doing our job not for a day but for an entire week, one day isn't a good sampling it might be one of the good days. A week isn't a great sampling either but the weeks usually seem to be more consistant than a day does.

The Worst Job I Ever Had

Former Employee - FSS III (Field Service Specialist) in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - FSS III (Field Service Specialist) in Wilmington, MA

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. 4 day work week
    2. Set schedule
    3. 401 K
    4. Company provided vehicle
    5. Company provided tools
    6. Company provided uniform
    7. Almost entirely unsupervised work day

Cons

1. Mandatory overtime (always notified without notice [at the end of your shift on the last day of your work week] making it difficult to impossible to make plans outside of work)
    2. Mandatory sales (the first 4 years of my 41/2 year employment there were no sales)
    3. Mandatory meetings
    4. Long Hours
    5. Ever-changing start time ( during my employment it went from 7am to 6:30am to 6am to 6:30am then some days were 6am and others were 6:30 then 6am again to 7am finally ending at 7:15am with Tues. and Thurs. being 6:30am)
    6. Constant bombardment of ridiculous, counter-productive, and often conflicting procedures of every kind
    7. A system of metrics in place to measure your productivity, trouble call rate, broadband connectivity, customer satisfaction (phone survey [with 0 being satisfied and everything else being dissatisfied?]) and sales
    8. Constant Harassment about sales ( they would ask after every job for us to text whether or not a sale was made and to give a reason why if the customer wasn't interested) even after your quota was met

9. Ever-changing diagram for van inventory placement (often being counter-productive and obtrusive)
    10. Shared vans
    11. Tools have to be turned in nightly as does the van including the van keys
    12. Complete incompatibility from one branch of this overly complicated company to the next
    13. Nonexistent quitting time ( you're done when the job/ jobs are [I was out till 2am once and frequently out till 9pm-11pm])
    14. Expected to foot and climb a 32' fiberglass ladder alone on all terrain and in all weather, day or night
    15. Expected to dismount ladders (up to 40') on to roofs of varying pitch and sturdiness
    16. Micro managed in every sense of the word

1. Treat the employees with respect
    2. Let the employee determine the best organization for the van tools and inventory, we use them constantly and some of us have a hard time with constantly different layouts
    3. Go back to routes being created by a person on the previous night, not a computer right before the shift begins that routes my first and second jobs an hour or more apart, also there is no reason why anyone anywhere should have to start a 6 room installation in the later part of the day after they have completed all of their assigned jobs
    4. Go back to paper, every new technologically advanced system you introduce to the techs for obtaining the customers signature and reviewing work orders is just awful. Paper never needed to be charged, lost signal and stopped working, froze, or invited theft if left it in the van and it is too large to keep on your person
    5. Simplify the system, while it is true that some people appreciate the complexity, most do not and having a more user friendly system would benefit customers and technicians

There are newer employer reviews for DISH