DISH

www.dish.com
  www.dish.com
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

My experience has been up and down.

Current Employee - Technician
Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One reason is it is a job in this shaky economy. I enjoy the technical side of working for DISH. We get to meet and greet new people daily. Independence.

Cons

We are graded on certain metrics and we have little to no control over some of them. Bonuses, as well as promotions, are determined by these metrics. Pay is not competitive. I could make twice the amount I make here at DirecTv. I went to school to be certified to install satellite internet and of course we don't get extra pay when we get extra certifications.There is no such thing as an excused absence. I was wrote up for missing a day when I was told to take the day off from a doctor and I took the slip to my office. If a customer misses their appointment and we are an hour and a half away, back at the office, and the customer gets home and wants us to come back to do their job we have to turn around and go back. We work in all weather, in attics and under houses.Technicians are forced to try and sell new equipment offered by DISH to customers and we are compensated with Reward points that we can use to buy things at a website. Well, considering the value of items we sell the "reward" points don't equal out to much. Last time I checked, salesmen usually receive some kind of training and they are reasonably compensated.The "rewards" are not worth their while. A real salesman would make actual money for selling these items at another place. Our management tells us if we have a problem to talk to them and they will try to work something out with us. Well, if we do go to them and talk to them we almost always get the same answer. It's something along the lines of, "There is nothing I can do to help." or "I will have to ask somebody else and get back to you." or "That is the policy and there is nothing I can do to help." I love the type of work but it seems like we(technicians) , the face of DISH, are doormats and don't matter at all. If we did, pay would be competitive, we would be properly rewarded for accomplishments and we would be treated like people, instead of slaves.

Listen and take our issues up the ladder so something can be done to make DISH a decent place to work. Fight for the minions underneath you.

1891 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

Inventory Control

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist

I have been working at DISH part-time (more than an year)

Pros

NO pros at all here...
    only thing I can migh say is a "discounted" bill.

Cons

Too many to list for this place

Pull your head out of your ....

40% monthly bonus if you learn to de-escalate effectively with customers.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The starting salary is below average US income, but well above a customer service rep's starting income even among others in the NY area. But this position becomes the easiest way to make $45k without any work to take home once you learn to resolve calls within 7 minutes, which takes only about 3-6 months to learn well enough to be consistent at it. DISH highly values the 7 minute time goal and low call back ratio. Finally, you learn some debate skills like how to listen to what customer's true concern is within the first few sentences, tactfully cutting into the conversation to tell them their own true concern, and then having them listen to your solution from that point.

Cons

This is not a con for the company, but more of a misconception I had about this job. The 80%/20% rule applies to the bonus structure as it does to business owners in general. 80% of peers earned only up to 10% bonus consistently, the other 20% earned 40% and on off months still earned 20-30%. Without being in the 20%, its a $35k- job, period. Also, if they are not expanding the CSRs there will be no new supervisors, but then again, starting salary for sups is $46k something you're probably making anyway if you're being considered for the position, supervisor salary went up to $60k, general manager $100k, and director under $200k.

Sometimes customers' negativity gets to the CSRs and supervisors alike, and then supervisors turn around and take it out on the CSRs. Vet the Supervisors to make sure they aren't making the CSRs even more stressed out.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH