There are newer employer reviews for DISH

It's what you make of it.

Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

First job out of college and it was a great learning experience especially for a recent grad. Dish has been good to me. Career Advancement is your choice - you have to voice your desire to move up and often. I love the people I work with and have found it to be a supportive environment.

Cons

I don't have much to complain about but I do see how some people leave with a bad taste in their mouth - with that said the C.E.O has taken great strides in improving moral. If you hate micromanaging and can't stand it - Dish is not for you. If you don't want to work hard - don't bother. You are expected to give 110%. I'm in my 20s and I can say the biggest con is moral - its pretty low. I think that's partially due to the world in which my generation has grown up in where we always get a pat on the back - everyone wins and everyone expects their boss to be perfect. For those people they aren't in touch with reality. The core hours was a problem but has since been gotten rid of by the CEO for 2013. Lack of communication between teams - everyone has a silo view and doesn't think about how projects impact others.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to make good decisions.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A Portrait of Dish

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Supervisor in Hilliard, OH
    Current Employee - Advanced Technical Supervisor in Hilliard, OH

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Dish coming up on 5 years and started as a frontline agent. I have worked hard and have been given opportunities to advance. This is a company that will reward hard work and has been an enjoyable adventure for me. I love technology and being on the cutting edge of a lot of really meaningful products that bring solutions to many people that had none before. Dish is a company that is willing to take on challenges and make their own path...I really think if you have an entrepreneurial spirit that treats this company like it's their own then Dish is a career that will give back (stocks, 401k). Dish has also given me the opportunity to travel and experience new cultures. It truly has been a wonderful experience for me.

Cons

My site has done a tremondous job of retaining our employees and I have had a team of agents that have been on my team for years. The people I work with our an entension of my family and like any family, we have good and bad days(but mostly good), As long as you have a positive attitude and can look past the trying days and see the big picture, Dish will give back to you and opportunities will arise. If you don't have a passion for the job then you probably will neglect it and eventually it will end.

Advice to Management

We do have a strong team of managers that is focused and care about employees and our customers. Trust that you are going down the right path...it's the right one.

2. The Dish springboard

Current Employee - Help Desk Coordinator in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Help Desk Coordinator in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Dish twice and survived. The first time was a trial by fire, but definitely for my own benefit. It was my first tech position, handling technical support and customer service. It was not easy, It was a struggle every day to go back, but it was a test for me to see how long I could last. I may have only lasted six months in the front lines, but it gave me the experience and capabilities to advance my career into higher level positions abroad. Each company I went to after I left Dish saw my experience in technical support as a valuable asset to their organization. As my career advanced, and time passed, I saw another position at Dish that I was perfect for, and envisioned the opportunity as a gateway into higher level positions. I spent the first six months as a contract in IT and was hired on full time. My team is a collection of the most amazing individuals I have ever worked with and I am proud to come to work every day and associate myself with people strong enough to thrive in "The Worst Company in America". After all, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, and if I ever chose to leave Dish again? I think I could take on any company in stride.

Cons

Micromanagement is a small problem when it comes to large scale projects and communication seems to be "need to know" in certain circumstances, but from my experience, its a current trend in companies I have worked for and does not reflect negatively on work culture at Dish.

Advice to Management

A little freedom goes a long way. I hear people complain about core hours, smoking restrictions, and limited advancement possiblilities for certain teams. I think if people felt like the company was there to help, people would invest more energy into improving the work environment.