DISH

www.dish.com
  www.dish.com
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

It's what you make of it.

Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

First job out of college and it was a great learning experience especially for a recent grad. Dish has been good to me. Career Advancement is your choice - you have to voice your desire to move up and often. I love the people I work with and have found it to be a supportive environment.

Cons

I don't have much to complain about but I do see how some people leave with a bad taste in their mouth - with that said the C.E.O has taken great strides in improving moral. If you hate micromanaging and can't stand it - Dish is not for you. If you don't want to work hard - don't bother. You are expected to give 110%. I'm in my 20s and I can say the biggest con is moral - its pretty low. I think that's partially due to the world in which my generation has grown up in where we always get a pat on the back - everyone wins and everyone expects their boss to be perfect. For those people they aren't in touch with reality. The core hours was a problem but has since been gotten rid of by the CEO for 2013. Lack of communication between teams - everyone has a silo view and doesn't think about how projects impact others.

Trust your employees to make good decisions.

1883 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

A Portrait of Dish

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Supervisor in Hilliard, OH
    Current Employee - Advanced Technical Supervisor in Hilliard, OH

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Dish coming up on 5 years and started as a frontline agent. I have worked hard and have been given opportunities to advance. This is a company that will reward hard work and has been an enjoyable adventure for me. I love technology and being on the cutting edge of a lot of really meaningful products that bring solutions to many people that had none before. Dish is a company that is willing to take on challenges and make their own path...I really think if you have an entrepreneurial spirit that treats this company like it's their own then Dish is a career that will give back (stocks, 401k). Dish has also given me the opportunity to travel and experience new cultures. It truly has been a wonderful experience for me.

Cons

My site has done a tremondous job of retaining our employees and I have had a team of agents that have been on my team for years. The people I work with our an entension of my family and like any family, we have good and bad days(but mostly good), As long as you have a positive attitude and can look past the trying days and see the big picture, Dish will give back to you and opportunities will arise. If you don't have a passion for the job then you probably will neglect it and eventually it will end.

We do have a strong team of managers that is focused and care about employees and our customers. Trust that you are going down the right path...it's the right one.

Get some experience and leave

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They hire recent grads and people with relatively little experience
    There are some great people who work here
    If you talk to the right people, you can get help in learning various programs that are useful

Cons

Mediocre compensation and benefits
    Obsessive micromanagement about time cards

Rather than planning ahead, making decisions, and committing to them, most mid-level managers are constantly reacting I the whims of senior management. Since they don't generally have a good understanding of the data or what happens on the ground and they ignore any input from their analysts, this wastes a tremendous amount of time and results in poor decision making.
    Analysts are often set up to fail because management makes absurd demands without understanding the work that goes into their requests. These requests are expected to be met immediately (often impossible), and then the next week they change their mind and the process starts all over again. Since they don't want to hear any input from the people actually doing the work, and rarely recognize their hard work, advancement tends to be based on your willingness to blindly obey management and keep your mouth shut. I have worked here for about a year. In that time, pretty much my entire team has turned over. I think that's a pretty good indicator of how happy employees are. Their treatment of csrs/techs is even more reprehensible. If you're going to work here, get the experience you need and get out as soon as possible.

Stop acting like chickens with your heads cut off and actually listen to the people who are doing the day to day work of making the company function

There are newer employer reviews for DISH