DISH

www.dish.com
  www.dish.com
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Good company. Not perfect, but I like it.

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Bluefield, WV
Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Bluefield, WV

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been here less than 2 years, so my experience may be considered somewhat limited. In the time I have been here, I have felt my supervisors and their supervisors look out for me, give me tools and incentive to succeed. This is a merit-based company, advancement is based upon ability, not seniority. I've moved up quicker than others who have been here longer, based on my abilities. I know I appreciate that, it is reassuring to know that I am judged by my abilities, and not other methods. I was aware of the negative reviews of this company for some time, even before starting employment here, but took a chance. I do see that those who tend to complain tend to leave quickly. The turnover is pretty high, and I will admit, not everybody has the temperament for a call center job. Joe Clayton seems to be a guy who "gets it", I've been impressed with him, and also the people in senior management that are in my chain of command. He can come across a little gruff, but he seems to have a vision for company success. One thing that has been discussed a lot is the occasional mandatory overtime. When applying for this job, the details were made clear that the company does this, it was not a secret. I see it as job security, that instead of mass-hiring short term employees, we spread the work to the current staff.

Cons

The health insurance is not comparable to what I have had before, the cost is high (deductibles, etc), but I am glad to have a position that offers health insurance. Working holidays stinks, I see great opportunity here, other comparable companies are better about giving holidays off, and letting customers know that they value their employees enough to be closed on those days. The offshore outsourcing is disappointing, I have spent many hours correcting and apologizing for the errors caused by offshore agents. I understand they work cheaply, but management really needs to measure how much time those of us in the US spend fixing the mistakes, I don't know the cost-to-value would support the offshore workers. I think the reputation of Charlie Ergen precedes him, and a lot of folks base their opinion of the company based on him. Noted in the "Pros" that Joe Clayton seems to "get it"

Joe Clayton needs to be in the forefront, as he has been recently, as he presents a good, positive, interesting face for Dish. Please look deeper at the amount of offshoring we do, measure the true benefit-to-cost ratio (consider the time US agents have to spend correcting their mistakes). Look at giving holidays off (at least Christmas) and work with PR to explain it as a positive to our customers, that we as a company care about our employees.

1856 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

Like my job VERY MUCH!

Current Employee - FSS I in Silver City, NM
    Current Employee - FSS I in Silver City, NM

I have been working at DISH full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am fairly new at DISH but I have to say it has been one of the best experiences I have ever had. Very employee oriented. They have helped me in every aspect of the job. I have a concern it is addressed. Training? Impressive. Much more than I had expected. If your willing to learn your job and be the best you can be, this is it. Best entry level pay. They provided me with everything
    I may need to do my job. All I needed to bring is the want to be the better than when I started and a pair of boots.

Cons

Medical benefits are way lower than I expected from a multi-billion dollar company. Otherwise I have ZERO complaints.

Your headed in the right direction.Pay really close attention to your employees at the field, field support and call centers. These are DISH to the public. They will make or brake you, I have seen some really motivated employees. Some gripers but you will have that anywhere. Encouragement, not threats.

The CEO asking what I think is A+++. That is rare. My ROM was very interested how we, as field personel, were doing. What do we need. Are there any problems. You want a talk alone? No problem. My GM was very interested in what I had to say. Mentioned a 4x4 would probably better in my area. I got it two weeks later. My FSM? Outstanding! Always asking if I am okay, Do I need anything, Take a break. Don't overdo it. Your doing great. Want to more training?

KEEP THIS GOING!

Structured environment with large potential if your okay with micro - management

Current Employee - Dish Network Installer in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Dish Network Installer in Memphis, TN

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

They are an international company and for that reason there is of course a large potential for advancement so long as you want to work hard to get there. The company also has invested largely into technology to include the Samsung Note so that you can work more efficiently and keep everything from the activations, to the customer's signature all digital and hassle free. This technology continues into your routes, GPS to customer location and so forth. You can start on the bottom end as a FSS1 (Installer) if you know your stuff can be a lead technician by your first year. After a few years with the company you may have the option to move up to a FSM (Field Service Manager). From there it depends on the route you wish to take and where you are wanting to go.. Even during your time as an installer there are many routes and options that you have. You will be SCBA certified and then you can go back through more training to become certified to do Smart Home. Through all of your training you increase in level of pay and there are some techs pushing around $25-30hr. All depends on how hard you want to work and how long...

Cons

The great thing is the structured environment and there is a lot technology to help make your job easier but that all comes at a cost. The FSM's are able to at any point in the day know your exact location, know what your doing and how.. Generally this isn't a problem if you are doing what you are supposed to do however it does make you wonder how much you are trusted.

Management at this location seems to be very interested in the employees lives and the things that are going on which affect work. Most of the management is prior military to include marines which makes the management style a little "in your face". You have to understand though at least in my perspective that this is a good thing. You know what you are getting and you don't have to wonder about uncertainties. You know what is expected of you and there is no reason that you can't do your job as they give you everything that you would need to complete the task. They do a great job and they work hard. Keep up the good work. The only advice that could be given is to the upper management. STOP HOLDING CONNECTIVITY AGAINST THE TECH! We can not control the fact that more and more people are dropping traditional forms of connectivity. More people JUST LIKE ME use their phone for internet. Why are we being graded on this is we can't control it. Trust that your employees are connecting the ones they can and leave the rest alone.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH