DISH

Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Too scared to say much

I worked at DISH

Pros

They have the friendliness of a high school clique. Wonderfully accepting at first.

Cons

Once you have worked for a few months, DISH comes down on you HARD. Every little mistake is penalized, either in public if you are in front of enough fellow employees, or in private. If you tell anyone that you were reprimanded, you are written up for "reducing company morale". I was written up for crying after I found a razor in my purse. After showing management the razor, they claimed....well, let's just say I kept future objects planted in my desk or files secret, and I'm not about to change that now. DISH instilled the fear in me to keep my mouth shut.

Don't write up employees for having the courage to confess about being harassed.

2000 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

The Good, The Bad, and The Very Bad.

Former Employee - Field Service Specialist I
    Former Employee - Field Service Specialist I

I worked at DISH full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There were some great people and the managers were helpful. The pay was great and there was plenty of work to be done.

Cons

My field coach spent more time criticizing my driving than teaching me the job. The managers didn't allow him to really show me how to do it and then expected me to meet all the performance metrics that experienced technicians have to meet. Management doesn't care about getting you home at a reasonable time and you will spend 12 or more hours a day working. If you aren't out that late, you have little or no work at all.

Actually train people, listen to them instead of criticizing, and spread out the work so people can see their families.

My experience has been up and down.

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than a year)

Pros

One reason is it is a job in this shaky economy. I enjoy the technical side of working for DISH. We get to meet and greet new people daily. Independence.

Cons

We are graded on certain metrics and we have little to no control over some of them. Bonuses, as well as promotions, are determined by these metrics. Pay is not competitive. I could make twice the amount I make here at DirecTv. I went to school to be certified to install satellite internet and of course we don't get extra pay when we get extra certifications.There is no such thing as an excused absence. I was wrote up for missing a day when I was told to take the day off from a doctor and I took the slip to my office. If a customer misses their appointment and we are an hour and a half away, back at the office, and the customer gets home and wants us to come back to do their job we have to turn around and go back. We work in all weather, in attics and under houses.Technicians are forced to try and sell new equipment offered by DISH to customers and we are compensated with Reward points that we can use to buy things at a website. Well, considering the value of items we sell the "reward" points don't equal out to much. Last time I checked, salesmen usually receive some kind of training and they are reasonably compensated.The "rewards" are not worth their while. A real salesman would make actual money for selling these items at another place. Our management tells us if we have a problem to talk to them and they will try to work something out with us. Well, if we do go to them and talk to them we almost always get the same answer. It's something along the lines of, "There is nothing I can do to help." or "I will have to ask somebody else and get back to you." or "That is the policy and there is nothing I can do to help." I love the type of work but it seems like we(technicians) , the face of DISH, are doormats and don't matter at all. If we did, pay would be competitive, we would be properly rewarded for accomplishments and we would be treated like people, instead of slaves.

Listen and take our issues up the ladder so something can be done to make DISH a decent place to work. Fight for the minions underneath you.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH