There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Doesn't work to retain good people, so mistakes are repeated

Former Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO
Former Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can be fun and fast with opportunities

Cons

Low wages, treats people with advanced degrees like fast food worker

Work harder to retain good people

1793 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

Just Awesome

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Harlingen, TX
    Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Harlingen, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have alot of opprtunites to advance in a career here at dish within six months of starting you can advance pretty much in any department from loyalty to ert or dd which is just awesome

Cons

just wish there were morning scheduled for the dr dish group

Keep up the good work!!!!!!!

It's a call center. Where you take calls.

Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In general: If you can deal being on the phones talking to people all day, it's a pretty easy job. The resources are there if you need help, lots of training, lots of opportunities for development and moving into different departments. Shifts are based on call volume so there's always a need for evening/weekend staffing but there are plenty of shift options and many are M-F or earlier in the day. Opportunities to get bonuses and contest prizes or random stuff from network representatives. Need a True Blood flashlight? How about 3?
    My department: Laid-back environment, good culture, great coworkers. If you want to do the bare minimum, the job is fairly simple, straightforward, and can be repetitive. But there are always more aspects of the business to learn and if you're interested in doing more, people are supportive. Very hands-off management, which can be nice if you can produce results and prefer to work at your own pace.
    I came into this job by necessity- I finished school, moved to a new city, and couldn't find anything in my field. I took the job as a customer service agent because I needed a job and I stayed because I felt it was useless to hop from 1 "plan b" job to another. I decided if I wasn't finding what I wanted I may as well stay at one job and be able to show advancement within one place and longevity. I'm probably lucky that I moved into the department I did, but I see room for advancement and overall find the job satisfying.

Cons

It's a call center so most of the stuff that goes along with that is true here as well. Agents are accountable for multiple metrics, need to be able to think quickly on calls, and have to be emotionally prepared to deal with all sorts of people- jerks, idiots, well-meaning elderly, etc. Most positions are hired from within and it's cool that most of your superiors started out on the phones as well. But while there's an opportunity for advancement, there's a bottleneck from agents into support staff. A few hundred agents versus 30 or so support staff. Also, being able to advance is often predicated on doing well in your current metrics, which makes sense, but it can be overly narrow and shortsighted. Benefits and pay is apparently not very good- honestly I don't really have an opinion on benefits and in regards to pay, I was given an opportunity to learn and gain experience in a department for which I had no training so I consider that to be a trade-off.

I know you're busy, but most employees want development and would like an official opportunity to discuss their jobs. When you procrastinate or don't take it seriously it tells your report that you don't care about them or their performance.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH