DISH

There are newer employer reviews for DISH

It is what it is

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

I went in to DISH with eyes wide open. I knew what I was getting into, and it is as advertised... on the plus side, the pay isn't horrible for everyone, and if you stick around (and don't get "talent upgraded") there are plenty of opportunities. It's decent experience on your resume. Also, right now the company is in a very interesting place strategically with its wireless plans and whatever it's going to do with Blockbuster. Overall, the product is great - as good as any in the industry, and by far the best price.

Cons

Here's the problem... the time off and benefits stink, and the company culture is terrible. Their standard line is 'DISH isn't for everyone'... yeah, ok, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't treat people with respect. With all the press they've been getting recently they've been making a lot of noise about changing things, recognizing that staff aren't happy. That's all it is though - noise. In 6 months absolutely nothing has actually changed. All they have done is ask happy staff to post here to even out the bad reviews (hence the sudden glut of reviews - nice try, but I don't think anyone is going to fall for that).

Some of the complaints people have are asinine (seriously, people, where have you worked that being in the office between 9-4 or letting your manager know in advance is an unreasonable request?), others are totally legit - they spend the absolute bare minimum on benefits; they don't recognize several public holidays and the vacation allowance is terrible; they company is cheaper than you can possibly imagine (I definitely recommend trying to avoid corporate travel); don't expect to ever work from home; employee moral is low - especially after they fire people (regularly); in many roles you'll be on call 24/7; they call the culture 'pay for performance' but in reality it's usually 'pay as little as we can get away with on an individual basis'; there is a culture of mistrust permeating from the very top, in every department, at every level. It makes it a very frustrating place to work.

Trust your staff and treat them with respect, provide competitive pay and benefits. Otherwise, everyone worthwhile will leave as soon as they can.

1856 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

Good for early career growth

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I ve read a lot of bad reviews and I wonder why...I think it all just depends on your team and manager. Working in the IT department isnt as bad..
    1. Opportunity to work on some major projects and make an impact
    2. Great people around you always willing to help out
    3. Open door policy - you can directly go one or two levels above you and talk about something if you have to..they will listen
    4. Company invests in growth and infrastructure, so its good that you get to work on the latest technology and not outdated ones
    5. Free satellite TV package with premium movie channels

Cons

1. Pay is average, benefits are poor - there isnt much incentive to stay here long term
    2. Company is quite rigid with work schedules, no flex hours or work from home policy
    3. Sometimes, employees are just treated as material resources (especially by PMs who only care about getting their project done no matter what it takes)

1. Give your best people incentive to stay long term (compensation, benfits, bonuses, etc.) otherwise they will leave
    2. Be flexible as far as work hours are concerned, emphasis should be on getting the job done instead of completing 40 hours in a week..

Well received. Given the opportunities to succeed and advance.

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II in Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II in Evansville, IN

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been given all the tools I need to succeed at Dish. I have noticed the company take care of problems when they arise in a proper manner. When I was unhappy with my current position I was afforded the opportunity to change my position within the company.

Cons

Long hours and working holidays however these situations are made perfectly clear before employment. The company has given all control of routing to people who have no idea of the geographical areas and taken all control from the direct managers of the technicians.

Allow the lower level managers to do their jobs and have control in their offices routing.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH