Recent College Grad - AMAZING Opportunity

Current Employee - Human Resources in Englewood, CO
Current Employee - Human Resources in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I could not ask for a better first job out of college. Since joining DISH 8 months ago, I have seen my job duties and responsiblities grow to levels unmatched by my college peers working at other companies. As I desire to do more and learn more, management takes chances on me by giving me exposure to major projects and tasks. I have great coaches and mentors in my department and have been very happy.

Cons

I have yet to experience and major cons at this time. I have been very happy with my experience so far.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good company. Not perfect, but I like it.

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Bluefield, WV
    Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Bluefield, WV

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been here less than 2 years, so my experience may be considered somewhat limited. In the time I have been here, I have felt my supervisors and their supervisors look out for me, give me tools and incentive to succeed. This is a merit-based company, advancement is based upon ability, not seniority. I've moved up quicker than others who have been here longer, based on my abilities. I know I appreciate that, it is reassuring to know that I am judged by my abilities, and not other methods. I was aware of the negative reviews of this company for some time, even before starting employment here, but took a chance. I do see that those who tend to complain tend to leave quickly. The turnover is pretty high, and I will admit, not everybody has the temperament for a call center job. Joe Clayton seems to be a guy who "gets it", I've been impressed with him, and also the people in senior management that are in my chain of command. He can come across a little gruff, but he seems to have a vision for company success. One thing that has been discussed a lot is the occasional mandatory overtime. When applying for this job, the details were made clear that the company does this, it was not a secret. I see it as job security, that instead of mass-hiring short term employees, we spread the work to the current staff.

Cons

The health insurance is not comparable to what I have had before, the cost is high (deductibles, etc), but I am glad to have a position that offers health insurance. Working holidays stinks, I see great opportunity here, other comparable companies are better about giving holidays off, and letting customers know that they value their employees enough to be closed on those days. The offshore outsourcing is disappointing, I have spent many hours correcting and apologizing for the errors caused by offshore agents. I understand they work cheaply, but management really needs to measure how much time those of us in the US spend fixing the mistakes, I don't know the cost-to-value would support the offshore workers. I think the reputation of Charlie Ergen precedes him, and a lot of folks base their opinion of the company based on him. Noted in the "Pros" that Joe Clayton seems to "get it"

Advice to Management

Joe Clayton needs to be in the forefront, as he has been recently, as he presents a good, positive, interesting face for Dish. Please look deeper at the amount of offshoring we do, measure the true benefit-to-cost ratio (consider the time US agents have to spend correcting their mistakes). Look at giving holidays off (at least Christmas) and work with PR to explain it as a positive to our customers, that we as a company care about our employees.

2. Like my job VERY MUCH!

Current Employee - FSS I in Silver City, NM
    Current Employee - FSS I in Silver City, NM

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am fairly new at DISH but I have to say it has been one of the best experiences I have ever had. Very employee oriented. They have helped me in every aspect of the job. I have a concern it is addressed. Training? Impressive. Much more than I had expected. If your willing to learn your job and be the best you can be, this is it. Best entry level pay. They provided me with everything I may need to do my job. All I needed to bring is the want to be the better than when I started and a pair of boots.

Cons

Medical benefits are way lower than I expected from a multi-billion dollar company. Otherwise I have ZERO complaints.

Advice to Management

Your headed in the right direction.Pay really close attention to your employees at the field, field support and call centers. These are DISH to the public. They will make or brake you, I have seen some really motivated employees. Some gripers but you will have that anywhere. Encouragement, not threats. The CEO asking what I think is A+++. That is rare. My ROM was very interested how we, as field personel, were doing. What do we need. Are there any problems. You want a talk alone? No problem. My GM was very interested in what I had to say. Mentioned a 4x4 would probably better in my area. I got it two weeks later. My FSM? Outstanding! Always asking if I am okay, Do I need anything, Take a break. Don't overdo it. Your doing great. Want to more training? KEEP THIS GOING!