Excellent Use of Slight of Hand

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Christiansburg, VA

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is good to have access to the product at no additional cost. Very good about reconfiguring your schedule if needed once per month. Seem to be consumer minded.

Cons

everything is about numbers and aligning all of them. The higher or more prominent your position the less training and more scrutiny. If you can resolve an issue by spending an average of 10% more time, you are not performing your duties correctly and will be disciplined. There are a few incentives that are almost inexhaustably impossible to attain the criteria for. The drawings and prizes are coincidentally won by a small population who are close with management. Most of the agents who are more seasoned have already been discredited by the new policies and compliance and have quote, "been let go." Instances of personality and vocal inflection have caused many to lose their job. Extra time is in surplus and heavy handedly inflicted on the agents. For some, it is nice but for. Most who have family and obligations, it is imposing and rarely dismissive for those locked into unbreakable obligations. "Have a backup! Then have a backup for the backup! Have a backup for that," exclaims one of the managers. If we could afford to have so many people expendable, why would we need to work for so little for so long? There are a lot of issues with aspects of the job being oversold and under delivered. These would encompass things like time off and pay/salary. The benefits for medical cover next to nothing for my family yet exhume roughly $500 of my check each month. Human Resources seem to only work for those who are inappropriate. They accept no responsibility in assisting people with issues regarding anything else. Recently had an event that qualified for a change to benefits, however, it took too long for anyone to let us know. Once notified, we contacted our insurance provider and they advised there are no issues, Dish just needs to add the necessary changes. At this point, denied. They denied to do so and they denied ANY responsibility. Later, if left us holding a $13,000 bill for unseen circumstances. When Dish stands behind you, it is only to see what you are doing and to ensure there is no need for disciplinary action in what you are doing. Furnishing my cellphone information for management's use seems a little too extreme for what is needed for us to conduct our day to day jobs. There was a lot of stipulation about Dish's work environment and they offered to make amends by having all the employees take a survey. Mostly of the questions were about what makes Dish such a great company and what we like most about Dish. How pretentious and arrogant. Selling is now a key point of the job, whether someone needs it or not. No one is safe, not your mother or grandmother or grandfather...it is now an agent's job to squeeze every cent out of every customer. I, myself, will most likely not make the cut much longer due to the company's focus on quantity over quality. Ask this ask that, if that does not work, transfer....or in my case, send someone else to resolve the issue. There is much to fix with the way agents and supervisors are treated and it should start at the top. Especially since a few of them have fired people because they did not like the way they sounded on the phones....or the way they responded to their questions or to one of the regular agents. Some of us have lasted the skimming off the top but for some of us, our time is nearing. When confronted with notice of your employment's impending doom, the only thing they have to say is, "What tools or what can we do to help you?" "Tell me how you want it done right," is not an answer. What is ironic/unfortunate, is that when you want to offer feedback, you are labeled a miscreant/ a complainer. A person in management once told me, "Become a supervisor and then part of management and then you have a voice." You see where the masses' opinions are now.

Advice to Management

Start fresh with someone who can maintain morale and not contribute to churn in our employees. People who do not even like the job still show up and do a great job....at least til you send them out the door. Most of your employees who last do not care for people, they half-heart, and most are pretty well medicated--check THOSE numbers. Most of our supervisors and agents who are lasting are on anxiety/depression medication or have professional assistance. There is too much emphasis on getting all kinds of metrics high(satisfaction and call time...and more)...what about taking a little more time to do things right and not be disciplined for taking more time. 1 minute is what will relinquish me of my job. Highest call proficiency in the enterprise with only 10 people calling back each month but my 1 minute of extra call time will doom my job. That business model, in my and other people's mind, is a little flawed. That is the story of how we as a company conduct business. Quantity over quality and money over many. Yeah, it works, but not for most of us that support the company working long hours and getting paid just enough to stay alive long enough to repeat the cycle the next day. Do you know that most of your staff who talk to most of your revenue producers are living in substandard housing, cannot be the primary source of income, and some even need government assistance? Of course you do, you sign the checks after all.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great Company for the Career Minded.

Current Employee - Operations Analyst I in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst I in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good entry level pay. Free Dish subscription with HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax. Dish hires talented and intelligent people and rewards people based upon merit. Managment is focused on career and leadership devlopment. The corporate is located in Englewood, CO, but a person can locate thorughout the country with the company. There is a cafeterria with a daily menu located on the first floor with Daz Bog coffee shop located inside.

Cons

There are seven holidays. The sick and vacation time are acrual basis. There is a 5 year vesting period. Annual proformance apprasial is confusing.

Advice to Management

Continue to put emphasis on the new college graduates. They are the lifeblod of growth and devlopment.

Improvements in the making

Current Employee - Operations Manager in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in El Paso, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people - Being an operations manager you get to see the people you developed grow with the company and this gives me a sense of accomplishment. Dish takes risks on talent... I was a 19 year old kid who got promoted within 9 months, now I am a 32 year old man. This place has shown me so much over the course of almost 13 years now. One of the lessons I teach my employees are every job has its ups and downs. It’s how you ride the roller coaster. My mother is a nurse making over 100k a year and still has complaints, so my lesson is that no matter what you do there will always be issues. Again it's how you ride the roller coaster. :) My second lesson is put forth the energy and commitment and the rewards will follow. Leadership - It takes a big man to swallow their pride and realize when the in-house is not happy and to admit there is and was issues. Now our CEO is on a mission to help fix everything. I can't ask more than that. When he speaks it feels like he is truly speaking for all of us. I can tell you in our site in El Paso. We are in a happier place then we have ever been and a lot has to do with believing in the company and the people we have working for us. Mentorship - I have great bosses that have helped teach me new skills and look at different perspectives. My Denver boss has been the most supportive of any boss that I have ever had and that makes me want to continue to pass along to my fellow employees and work hard for them. I think 2013 will be an even better year for Dish and its employees. You get what you what you put in.

Cons

At times we don't get to see many people continue to be successful and end up leaving our team. As said, sometimes Dish isn't for everyone.

Advice to Management

Just continue to think about all of us, and we will continue to be the heart and soul of Dish.