There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Very Disappointed

Current Employee - Manager  in  Englewood, CO
Current Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really great colleagues. There's a real sense of being in this together, so most everyone is supportive of one another.

Beautiful campus. It's on a golf course with public trails. In sunny Colorado.

Free parking.

Cons

The problem at Dish isn’t just money (which, in my field, is below market) or benefits (expensive health care that doesn’t kick in for several months, two weeks of vacation for the first three years, few holidays, no cash bonus for G&A employees, and stock bonus capped at $4,000 for non-officers).

It’s also culture. Dish is the most callous place I’ve ever worked.

If you interview outside HR offices at Dish HQ (headquarters), take a look around and listen. There’s very little laughter. Some areas are practically silent. In other areas, you might hear yelling.

Also, check out the condition of the furniture while you’re walking around. Furniture is old and often broken. There are holes in the floor, so you have to watch where you step or move a chair.

The company’s trying to improve the atmosphere through a leadership initiative, but, the approach has flaws.

For example, the company is not taking a measurement of the people they are trying to develop. With no measurement and re-measurement, how will anyone know if managers have implemented what they have learned? Instead, they’re using a survey that focused on feelings rather than actions. Because employee IDs were required to take the survey, several colleagues have said they did not answer the survey candidly out of fear for their employment.

Also, the program seems to be focused on middle management. Dish has a notorious reputation in Denver for managing through fear (which is why so many jobs at Dish HQ are filled with people from outside Colorado). As several recent articles and reviews have pointed out, this comes from the top. For example, there was a lot of publicity about a VP that pushed the geriatric father of another attorney at court. Nothing has been done about this. If the problems were not cultural, why would these behaviors be tolerated?

Other behaviors for which Dish is notorious are micromanaging, vindictiveness, yelling, throwing objects (and sometimes hitting people with those objects), and threatening to fire people at the drop of a hat over small matters.

The demands on personal time are tremendous. As other reviewers have pointed out, it's difficult to cultivate a life outside of Dish if you want to keep your job. I’ve worked every vacation and nearly every weekend and holiday, have been told to cancel medical appointments at my expense, and couldn’t attend a relative’s funeral. I’ve received no comp time for all of this work.

Also, the company isn’t known from promoting internally. A common phrase around the office is that for Dish, there’s always someone better on the outside.

On the plus side, if you’re hired at Dish, looking for another job in Denver is easier for two reasons. First, many interviewers don’t need a reason for leaving Dish. For them, the company’s name is enough. Second, people are impressed that you survived Dish. To them, if you can survive Dish, you can survive anywhere.

Leverage the reviews here to improve working conditions for employees and the company's overall reputation as an employer.

1753 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

Where are the improvements?

Current Employee - Loyalty Agent  in  Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Loyalty Agent in Thornton, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Customers and coworkers. You do get paid so I guess that could be considered a pro. A 20 word minimum is hard to reach in the pro section.

Cons

New CEO sent out a memo saying that the benefits package will be improved... Never happened. Terrible insurance! Chain of command is useless. They fire the good agents and coaches, and keep incompetent people. Too much pressure to reach "metrics". AHT, upsell, QA, CSAT and FCR. What happened to customer service? Now we even get put on a naughty list if we give too many credits to customers. Constant fear of being fired for any reason at any time. Dish is not even remotely a "great place to work".

Better benefits. We need affordable insurance, not cruises and cars. Don't give us "talking points" and not give us time to use them. Handle time should not come into play when your job is to save customers. Your agents are disconnecting great customers just to lower their AHT. How can you be so blind? Have your agents review their coaches. You might just learn something.

There have to be better jobs.

Current Employee - Field Service Technician  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Nashville, TN

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some pros include the cool latest and greatest technology, the employee discount is nice, and you get a sense of independence throughout the day because you don't have that typical boss standing over you all day long and you are able to make decisions on a per job basis without needing to get "approval" so long as your final decision stays within the corporate guidelines.

Cons

Do not like the fact that I have no clue what time I will get finished for the day. You can sometimes estimate the end of your day, but as soon as you are finishing around 5-530... they will more than likely find another job that "has to go in today", "something came up", "you're the best tech for the job", or "now you're the only tech in that area". I think this company micro-manages with everything from how many zip ties to how many receivers they stock on a van. They also continue to preach that Smart Home Services is not asking the techs to become sales, yet the office crams it down your throat on how much you are selling vs every one else in the office/region.

Take the time to talk to your techs/managers and find out what will increase the morale in each office. I have been fortunate enough to take a couple of OOM trips and discovered that morale is low in multiple offices because there is never a "good job" or "we're doing great". It is always "yes your numbers are here, but I'd rather see them get better". Keep in mind that we did not sign up to work 4 days a week for 15-20 hrs a day and that we have families and other activities we would like to attend when we get off work (hopefully at a decent hour).

There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!