Don't go down this road

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Littleton, CO
Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Littleton, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fortune 200 company, can't think of anything else

Cons

low pay, poor benefits, low morale

Advice to Management

Pay your employees something that they can live off of. My department schedules potlucks, happy hours, etc. around pay day because everyone lives pay check to pay check. Smart people here too, degrees from Notre Dame, CO school of Mines, DU, Virginia Tech, and more, and it's not uncommon for us to do a ride along with a technician who makes more then us. Managers will ask you to take on a project, and then claim to their superiors that the work is their own, even going so far as scrubbing emails. A great place to come to work if you're a glutton for punishment, otherwise you can and will find something better.

reviews filtered by

Not an employee focused employer.

Former Employee - General Manager in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - General Manager in South Bend, IN

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is very good at promoting from within. Employees with drive and talent can progress to positions throughout the company.

Cons

Field employees are required to work excessive hours. The company does not seriously consider the safety issues surrounding weather and exhaustion.

Advice to Management

Balance the desire to grow with the benefits of a satisfied employee.

Worst job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Material Handler, TECH (Installer) in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Material Handler, TECH (Installer) in Sacramento, CA

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The biggest "Pro" was the high turn-over rate. Eventually the micromanaging manager or supervisor who made your life at work miserable would be belittled and fired by someone higher up then themselves. Those days and other days when Dish lost lawsuits became the best days I ever experienced working for both EchoStar and Dish Network.

Cons

When I worked for Dish the company was trying to obtain an industry award. To obtain this award they needed more subscribers, and specifically more employee subscribers. To achieve this every office and warehouse location posted a list containing the names of all employees at that location. Next to everyone's name was an indication of whether or not that employee had Dish Network service in their home. All of us were told by management that we needed to sign up for Dish service with no exceptions. Those of us that did not or could not because of Home Owner Association Rules or other restrictions with apartment complexes were routinely harassed to do so, and were denied raises regardless of our performance on the job. Many of us worked for Dish but preferred other service providers namely DirecTV for their superior programming and customer service. Dish offered a "discount" but not completely free programming for its employees, and many of us would rather pay full price for a competitors service which should be our right to do whatever we like outside of work. This award that Dish was striving for, and I believe eventually obtained gave bonuses to all of those at the top with Charlie Ergen and very little to nothing to the mast majority of the company employees who did 90% of the work at Dish. I worked for both EchoStar and later Dish Network, and both jobs were the worst jobs I have ever had.

Advice to Management

Start over from scratch, and begin doing so with Charlie Ergen. Then, and only then will Dish Network and Echostar have a chance at being a great company to work for.