There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Stuff Rolls Downhill

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Green Bay, WI
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Green Bay, WI

I worked at DISH as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Innovative products at relatively low prices compared to the competition. More programming choices, including international programming that competitors don't have. Call center offered four 10-hour day schedule, which was nice.

Cons

Hired by AEI, the DISH installation agency for most of Wisconsin and Michigan. No training other than listening in with another agent for a day. Minimal training materials. Had to make my own binder of job aides on equipment, programming, and policies. Was instructed to not assist customers if AEI had not been out to residence in over 60 days, even if it was something easy to fix. Had to transfer calls to 'Senior Technical Advisor' at DISH. Techs had it worse. Worked 6 days a week, 10-12 hour days. Was instructed not to record any kind of negative comments from customers about service installers (being late, rude, unprofessional, etc.) where DISH could see them. Instead, we had to pass comments on to supervisors who would, allegedly, pass them onto office managers. Apparently, they were afraid of the wrath of DISH, too. Call center managers just sat in their office all day looking busy, interacting with agents too infrequently, rarely having anything helpful to say. Worst work experience of my 25 year work history.

Show some respect for your customers and employees and maybe you'll create a better professional reputation for yourself. But since the word 'respect' is an alien concept to you, I doubt you ever will.

1754 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

Management more worried about how to fire employees than develop them. Too much politics.

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist  in  Harlingen, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Harlingen, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Best paying job in the area.

Cons

Management doesn't care unless you are one of their buddies, seems if you hang out with management after work, you get promoted better. Quality control is more interested in finding fault to dock you. Seniority means nothing, in fact it seems the longer you are here, the quicker they are to fire you so you don't have to get your raises.

Crack down on politics in the work place. Remember long term employees mean a lot in this world and nobody is perfect. When an agent voices displeasure, please don't respond with "Well, at least you have a job" which is one thing management here loves to say.

It is what it is

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

I went in to DISH with eyes wide open. I knew what I was getting into, and it is as advertised... on the plus side, the pay isn't horrible for everyone, and if you stick around (and don't get "talent upgraded") there are plenty of opportunities. It's decent experience on your resume. Also, right now the company is in a very interesting place strategically with its wireless plans and whatever it's going to do with Blockbuster. Overall, the product is great - as good as any in the industry, and by far the best price.

Cons

Here's the problem... the time off and benefits stink, and the company culture is terrible. Their standard line is 'DISH isn't for everyone'... yeah, ok, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't treat people with respect. With all the press they've been getting recently they've been making a lot of noise about changing things, recognizing that staff aren't happy. That's all it is though - noise. In 6 months absolutely nothing has actually changed. All they have done is ask happy staff to post here to even out the bad reviews (hence the sudden glut of reviews - nice try, but I don't think anyone is going to fall for that).

Some of the complaints people have are asinine (seriously, people, where have you worked that being in the office between 9-4 or letting your manager know in advance is an unreasonable request?), others are totally legit - they spend the absolute bare minimum on benefits; they don't recognize several public holidays and the vacation allowance is terrible; they company is cheaper than you can possibly imagine (I definitely recommend trying to avoid corporate travel); don't expect to ever work from home; employee moral is low - especially after they fire people (regularly); in many roles you'll be on call 24/7; they call the culture 'pay for performance' but in reality it's usually 'pay as little as we can get away with on an individual basis'; there is a culture of mistrust permeating from the very top, in every department, at every level. It makes it a very frustrating place to work.

Trust your staff and treat them with respect, provide competitive pay and benefits. Otherwise, everyone worthwhile will leave as soon as they can.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!