There are newer employer reviews for DISH

The worst employer I can even imagine...

Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager  in  Littleton, CO
Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Littleton, CO

I worked at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

None. I am ashamed to say I ever worked here and future employers have stated on multiple occasions that seeing dish network on a resume turns them away.

Cons

Terrible management. No concern for employees. Poor wages. Negative environment.

Try to at least pretend your employees matter.

1740 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

Demoralizing, Every Man For Himself Company Culture

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I  in  Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Van, Tools, Training and Uniform provided. No personal investment required (think contractors). Enjoyable to work outdoors. Like any job, I'll miss the people I worked with.

Cons

I started working for Dish with a can-do, carpe diem, make your own opportunities work ethic, and left downtrodden and cynical 18 months later.
    Without exaggeration, in an office of about 20 technicians, an average of one and a half technicians left for every month I worked there. We were hired to work 4x10 shifts, but it was very rare to work less than 12 hours. As we started to lose techs faster than we hired them, one or two days of mandatory overtime a week was the norm. Yes, we were paid, but it was mandatory and usually imposed right before the end of the work week. You made plans for the weekend a month ago? Too bad. You hardly ever spend time with friends or family because you're desperate to hold on to your $14/hour job? Take it or leave it. This multibillion dollar company won't risk one penny of its share value to improve working conditions.
    The most important tools used to evaluate your job performance were QAS (quality assurance inspections) and the dreaded metrics. If you fail a single QAS within three months of the last failure, you are ineligible for promotion or any raises. This would actually be reasonable if you were being judged on brand new installs at single family homes in the suburbs. However, not only were we usually tested on triplexes and MDUs in the city where it is impossible, IMPOSSIBLE to do a standard install, but we were held to the same standard for trouble calls, which we were expected to complete within one hour. Did the installer practically destroy the house three years ago? Will it take 3 hours to fix? Too bad, all the other techs have their own ridiculous routes to worry about and you're responsible. At least you can keep your job, though.
    With metrics, your job was constantly at stake and numerous techs were fired by nameless middle managers with access to spreadsheets with our numbers. Thinking that he was coming in for mandatory overtime, one tech was called in on his day off only to discover someone had ordered his termination. The metrics included job completion rate, 12 day trouble call rate, and customer survey score. They were largely out of our control and impossible to dispute.
    I'm against unions in general, but I felt so angry and desperate most of the time, I would have risked my job to join one. I really felt like I had nothing to lose towards the end.

What is there to say when the CEO responds to legitimate and overwhelmingly negative criticism from rank and file employees by saying there are worse places to work? Where's the concern? The economy is improving and your best employees will not forget how they were treated when they had nowhere else to go. Dish will never again go through a period of adding a million customers a year, and it needs to give a little back (money, benefits, humane working conditions) to its employees if it wants to hang on to the customers it already has. Instead, it has taken a near-sighted approach of extreme cost cutting, and substituting good, local, common sense management with a distant, manage by numbers approach.

Great co-workers, poor leadership

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I  in  Mabscott, WV
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Mabscott, WV

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

free programming and the chance to meet new people on the route. will work with you if you are in the reserves. sometimes a four day work week. interesting job, very technical and always innovating new things.

Cons

poor leadership (although all fsm regularly attend training). too sales oriented, you are very pushed for sales, and sometimes will get in the way of performing your duties as a technician.in our office, lazy fsms are unwilling to help out once you leave the office, they play games on their phones and sit at the desk all day. normal overbooking and high employee turnover and call ins lead to regular 5 day weeks with 20-40+ hours overtime. It is not family friendly getting home after your little ones are in bed at anywhere from nine to midnight, starting over at 7am the next day.

FSM and IM should stick their neck out there for their guys. When something completely asinine, redundant or productivity hindering comes down the line, please have the spine to stand up, say no, question why. Stop saying yes to everything handed down, it makes your employees wonder about your position. Stop and ask yourself, is solving the customer's problems and meeting their needs more important than selling them something to make your office and managers look good? Remember, we are technicians first, sales people last, please stop treating us like sales people.
    Also, your weekly training is ineffective, please stop wasting company funding on your training videos, and please stop wasting productivity on re-runs of the same videos weekly. Monthly training would be sufficient. Also, technicians do not need to be involved with weekly conference calls consisting mainly of sales figures, these items can be posted near the time clock, for anyone who wishes to know. these times in the morning are very unproductive wasting a total of 2-2.5 hours weekly . Please understand that our calendars are full, routes are busy, so please stop finding extra things for us to do, we understand the ask & earn, connectivity, we can handle this, please let us work, we do not have time to call, text, etc all day with the fsm. Our time is limited, and as most routes go, they never go as planned. please be respectful of our time.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!