Changed my life forever

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Englewood, CO
Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment, constantly changing. DISH has a strong entrepreneurial spirit, and the employees who enjoy working at DISH do too. I started as a customer service representative in 1998 and I am currently a senior project manager in our IT organization. I don't know of many companies where an individual can come in at entry level and grow their career like I have. My salary is 6 times what it was when I was hired, and I have a serious amount of valuable experience.

Cons

DISH is at a crossroads where there's some serious "growing up" to do. There's an old saying I've heard that really stuck with me. In business, you can have only 2 of the following: Cheap, Fast, or Good. While DISH was growing rapidly with the Pay TV industry we only needed to be fast and cheap. Now that the industry has matured and rapid growth has stopped, DISH won't survive on cheap and fast. Now things have to be good. DISH must evolve to attract top talent and shed the poor reputation as an indifferent employer. While I do believe DISH needs to make improvements, I also believe the poor reputation is grossly overstated and not well deserved.

Advice to Management

It's time to move past cheap and fast. It's now time to be good... really really good.

reviews filtered by
  1. Not the best but not the worse!!

Current Employee - Field Service Technician
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, OT, Work Alone..

Cons

Micro Management, Managers Don't Have Your Back, Look For Anything To Get Rid Of You.

Advice to Management

Trust Your Employees More Than The Customer.

A job while you are looking for another

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paycheck, although not industry standard.
    Covered parking if you get there early enough
    Cafe onsite with good food

Cons

Lack of communciation, especially as one goes up the ladder. There are quite a few managers that are not willing to meet to resolve issues or find a more efficient way of handling tasks. Too many people that have made it up the ladder and are just waiting for retirement. The CEO sent out an email recently that stated changes were made for the better...that memo announced that VPs had become Sr. VPs, etc. In accounting, employees are expected to work 60+ hours a week with no compensation. Managers deny doctor's appointments and suggest they be made before 9 a.m. and after 4 p.m. or at lunch...but only between 11:30 and 1:00...not a lot of doctors that have appointments during those hours.

There are many employees that have a real attitude about their work and are either afraid to share what they know because they are afraid they will lose their job or will not speak at all because they are afraid they will be given something else to do.

Too much micromanagement...you hired employees for their knowledge, let them use it. The interview process is a joke...takes two months to finally get an interview. Have to "pass" the tests and assessments given...they should really look at some of the employees that were there prior to the assessments...don't think they would pass now.

Advice to Management

Look up the ladder at some of the mid managers that do not have the "DISH attitude" as described by CEO Joe Clayton. There are some new managers that have the right attitude and ambition, but I wonder how long that will be before they lose that and just go with the flow and continually see a turnover.