My Journey With Dish

Current Employee - Field Technician in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Field Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a lot of pro's in my opinion. I love the guys I work with, the techs are awesome and everyone in management except for an isolated fsm is a team player and awesome people. Personally management takes care of me, my field service manager, my IM and my GM do everything they can to help me out. They pay for all tools, equipment, and they pay fairly. There's opportunity for advancement, someone can easily advance from a level one technician to a level four in a matter of 2-3 years or less, with that comes a 30% pay increase. They pay the for gas and van maintenance, and also all supplies used. When works around you can work as much as you would like, with long days and 3 days off unless its mandatory overtime.

Cons

Other then the occasional late job that gets thrown on you I don't have much to gripe about at all, I personally enjoy the long hours/days and overtime.

Advice to Management

Tighten up hiring requirements for your trainees, as well as who you decide to promote into management positions. If they did bad work in the field as a tech, you can only imagine what type of manager they'll become.

reviews filtered by

Numbers for the Win?

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Christiansburg, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Christiansburg, VA

I have been working at DISH part-time (More than a year)

Pros

In all honesty, there isn't really a major pro for the company aside from the pay, which is decent for this area.

Cons

First Point:
    This company only cares about numbers, which makes some sense given that it is a business, even if it is at the expense of their agents. For example, an agent can provide exemplary customer service to a customer that has elected to take a survey on that agent. At the end of the call, if the customer is dissatisfied with Dish Network in any way, be it their bill, the way their equipment works, or programming that is being aired, all of which are in no direct control of the agent, they decide to give a negative review. This survey is used to grade the agents on how "well' they do their job, and that's where the problem is. If something is out of the agents control, and they've provided EXCELLENT customer service to the customer, then they're rewarded with this "negative" grade, and the company doesn't care, stating, "You should make sure every customer is satisfied before the call ends," which is IMPOSSIBLE on every single call for every single customer, given the nature of some calls.

Second Point:
    The company has a "feedback tool" for their agents to use to provide their opinions/feedback/questions about "internal" related things that cannot be shared here, though there is a problem here as well. If an agent submits feedback on this tool, if it's not something that the company can find a bullet hole in, for example, the metrics of the agent and incentives given based on those metrics, the company FORCES the agent to remove the post, to prevent a "wildfire" spread of the information, or, a better way to put that, to prevent a revolt on the company. They provide incentives that require certain metrics that are about 98% impossible to ascertain, and only about 1% of the company can even manage to hit those metrics, though the company doesn't care. They entice their agents during training with this info, only for the agent to make it through training and discover that it's not the way training makes it seem, in turn, leading to a jaded agent. Furthermore, for the most part, it's not all of the metrics, 4 of them do actually make sense, it's the 5th that doesn't, as it is a severely inaccurate judgement of an agents abilities.

Third Point:
    The CEO of the company will send out mass emails asking people to post "positive" feedback on glassdoor of the company, but will still provide mediocre medical benefits. For example, after the flurry of negative reviews on this site, that email was sent, people began posting "fake" (only way I could describe it) reviews on the site to make the company look better. The company realized that it was sinking in ratings, and was voted #1 worst company to work for, so they increased medical benefits... by about .05%. There is a HUGE deductible on this insurance which makes it extremely hard to meet, and to get the benefits that are needed. The coverage is mediocre at best, and almost makes it smarter to acquire your own insurance privately.

Fourth Point:
    The company still waits to declare a "snow day" as a "snow day" until 3-4 weeks after the point. They base it on whether a certain percentage of the agents can make it to work. Most of the agents live local to the company, so the streets are clear, but for those that live outside of the city or more than 20 minutes away, are almost guaranteed to receive some sort of attendance hit.

Fifth Point:
    The work environment itself is toxic. Not only are the computers and carpets dirty, dusty, and filthy. Someone with asthma or allergies can barely stand to work for all of the dust. The computers have probably never been opened and cleaned in the many years they've been there. The desks are dirty, dusty, sticky, and falling apart. The carpet has been there since the building was put in and is disgusting and bound to be full of dirt, dust, and microbes that aggravate allergies. On top of the, literal, toxic work environment, there's the micromanagement. Which brings me back to my first point, and my closing point. The company cares too much about the number that the agent is producing. I understand customer service, and that it does have to be "great customer service", that's not a question or a doubt here. However, when you offer incentives to your agents, and then provide them with crazy, unobtainable metrics to meet in order to receive those? You're doing nothing more than upsetting your employee base, and, in turn, causing them to do a worse job. Think of it as Pavlovian Conditioning. If you condition an agent that they're never going to hit the bonuses that you provide, because they can't hit the metrics that are ridiculous? They're going to become jaded, hate the company, and have to post more reviews like this. ***Continued in Advice to management**

Advice to Management

*continuation from Cons*
    1) If you want to improve the company's rating on glassdoor, and to remove it from the list of worst companies to work for, then help your agents. Stop using metrics that are obtainable to barely 1% of the company, and that are severely inaccurate, biased, and just an all around horrid way to grade an agents skill . At least increase it so that the metrics of the top 10% are hitting the incentives you give if you want to continue to allow customers to "grade" agents in a biased manner, which leads into my second piece of advice.

2) Stop emphasizing customer satisfaction metrics. They are flawed and do not accurately reflect your agents ability, hence, when you call, you hear this, "Your call may be monitored or recorded for quality assurance." I'm about 99.9% sure that that is why you even have a quality assurance department... to GRADE your agents on their ability to do their job... why are you leaving it in the hands of customers who have NO idea how the inside of the business works?

3) The third and final piece of advice that I have for the company/upper management is this: Create a cleaner, healthier work environment. The dirt, dust, disgusting carpet, computers that aren't cleaned on a regular basis, and insurance deductibles that make obtaining medical coverage very hard, should all be addressed in a more professional, "Fortune 200" company manner, instead of the sub-par manner it's directed in now.

No wonder there is high turnover...

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Littleton, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cheap TV service, they give out nice prizes in raffles/contests and a lot of catered lunches.

Cons

They have this place run like a strict factory. I accepted the job even after having read about DISH's bad reputation. What a huge mistake. I thought that what people were saying wouldn't apply to me because I get to work on time, am responsible and am good at following directions. I was ready to work hard and put in the extra hours that were required and accepted the job as it was with a positive attitude and a smile on my face. Nothing glamorous- just sitting in a cubicle all day selling Dish TV service where there is potential to make a lot of money. The training was only 2 weeks. There is an underlying distrust among all employees- you have to bring the headset home with you at night! Talk about micromanaging- you have the QA team issuing punishment for how reps make 'integrity mistakes' on phone calls. Everybody gets dinged at least once for these mistakes- which of course you lose your commission on that sale (or more) and have the possibility of being fired hanging over your head. Pretty severe punishment for sometimes, just a human error or something you weren't trained on. This instill fear in the employees. For a person who has high integrity and takes pride in what they do- this is absolutely insulting and demoralizing. If everybody is getting these, why point the finger at the reps? Maybe it is about time to see what is wrong with the system that is still allowing these mistakes to happen. Sure there are some bad apples out there as there are with any sales environment who are greedy and do anything to get a sale. There has got to be a better way to weed them out. Morale is very low here, pretty much any conversation while not working is complaining about work. I will also add that it is dirty here- tables in the cafeteria are a mess and the desks are never cleaned. DISH seems like it has been a success story for a lot of people out of high school who get the job, make decent money without ever going to college and move up in the company- professionalism is low here.

Advice to Management

There is a high turnover rate for a reason- do something about it! You are losing good people.