There are newer employer reviews for DISH

My Journey With Dish

Current Employee - Field Technician  in  Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Field Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's a lot of pro's in my opinion. I love the guys I work with, the techs are awesome and everyone in management except for an isolated fsm is a team player and awesome people. Personally management takes care of me, my field service manager, my IM and my GM do everything they can to help me out. They pay for all tools, equipment, and they pay fairly. There's opportunity for advancement, someone can easily advance from a level one technician to a level four in a matter of 2-3 years or less, with that comes a 30% pay increase. They pay the for gas and van maintenance, and also all supplies used. When works around you can work as much as you would like, with long days and 3 days off unless its mandatory overtime.

Cons

Other then the occasional late job that gets thrown on you I don't have much to gripe about at all, I personally enjoy the long hours/days and overtime.

Tighten up hiring requirements for your trainees, as well as who you decide to promote into management positions. If they did bad work in the field as a tech, you can only imagine what type of manager they'll become.

1753 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

Numbers for the Win?

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist  in  Christiansburg, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Christiansburg, VA

I have been working at DISH part-time for more than a year

Pros

In all honesty, there isn't really a major pro for the company aside from the pay, which is decent for this area.

Cons

First Point:
    This company only cares about numbers, which makes some sense given that it is a business, even if it is at the expense of their agents. For example, an agent can provide exemplary customer service to a customer that has elected to take a survey on that agent. At the end of the call, if the customer is dissatisfied with Dish Network in any way, be it their bill, the way their equipment works, or programming that is being aired, all of which are in no direct control of the agent, they decide to give a negative review. This survey is used to grade the agents on how "well' they do their job, and that's where the problem is. If something is out of the agents control, and they've provided EXCELLENT customer service to the customer, then they're rewarded with this "negative" grade, and the company doesn't care, stating, "You should make sure every customer is satisfied before the call ends," which is IMPOSSIBLE on every single call for every single customer, given the nature of some calls.

Second Point:
    The company has a "feedback tool" for their agents to use to provide their opinions/feedback/questions about "internal" related things that cannot be shared here, though there is a problem here as well. If an agent submits feedback on this tool, if it's not something that the company can find a bullet hole in, for example, the metrics of the agent and incentives given based on those metrics, the company FORCES the agent to remove the post, to prevent a "wildfire" spread of the information, or, a better way to put that, to prevent a revolt on the company. They provide incentives that require certain metrics that are about 98% impossible to ascertain, and only about 1% of the company can even manage to hit those metrics, though the company doesn't care. They entice their agents during training with this info, only for the agent to make it through training and discover that it's not the way training makes it seem, in turn, leading to a jaded agent. Furthermore, for the most part, it's not all of the metrics, 4 of them do actually make sense, it's the 5th that doesn't, as it is a severely inaccurate judgement of an agents abilities.

Third Point:
    The CEO of the company will send out mass emails asking people to post "positive" feedback on glassdoor of the company, but will still provide mediocre medical benefits. For example, after the flurry of negative reviews on this site, that email was sent, people began posting "fake" (only way I could describe it) reviews on the site to make the company look better. The company realized that it was sinking in ratings, and was voted #1 worst company to work for, so they increased medical benefits... by about .05%. There is a HUGE deductible on this insurance which makes it extremely hard to meet, and to get the benefits that are needed. The coverage is mediocre at best, and almost makes it smarter to acquire your own insurance privately.

Fourth Point:
    The company still waits to declare a "snow day" as a "snow day" until 3-4 weeks after the point. They base it on whether a certain percentage of the agents can make it to work. Most of the agents live local to the company, so the streets are clear, but for those that live outside of the city or more than 20 minutes away, are almost guaranteed to receive some sort of attendance hit.

Fifth Point:
    The work environment itself is toxic. Not only are the computers and carpets dirty, dusty, and filthy. Someone with asthma or allergies can barely stand to work for all of the dust. The computers have probably never been opened and cleaned in the many years they've been there. The desks are dirty, dusty, sticky, and falling apart. The carpet has been there since the building was put in and is disgusting and bound to be full of dirt, dust, and microbes that aggravate allergies. On top of the, literal, toxic work environment, there's the micromanagement. Which brings me back to my first point, and my closing point. The company cares too much about the number that the agent is producing. I understand customer service, and that it does have to be "great customer service", that's not a question or a doubt here. However, when you offer incentives to your agents, and then provide them with crazy, unobtainable metrics to meet in order to receive those? You're doing nothing more than upsetting your employee base, and, in turn, causing them to do a worse job. Think of it as Pavlovian Conditioning. If you condition an agent that they're never going to hit the bonuses that you provide, because they can't hit the metrics that are ridiculous? They're going to become jaded, hate the company, and have to post more reviews like this. ***Continued in Advice to management**

*continuation from Cons*
    1) If you want to improve the company's rating on glassdoor, and to remove it from the list of worst companies to work for, then help your agents. Stop using metrics that are obtainable to barely 1% of the company, and that are severely inaccurate, biased, and just an all around horrid way to grade an agents skill . At least increase it so that the metrics of the top 10% are hitting the incentives you give if you want to continue to allow customers to "grade" agents in a biased manner, which leads into my second piece of advice.

2) Stop emphasizing customer satisfaction metrics. They are flawed and do not accurately reflect your agents ability, hence, when you call, you hear this, "Your call may be monitored or recorded for quality assurance." I'm about 99.9% sure that that is why you even have a quality assurance department... to GRADE your agents on their ability to do their job... why are you leaving it in the hands of customers who have NO idea how the inside of the business works?

3) The third and final piece of advice that I have for the company/upper management is this: Create a cleaner, healthier work environment. The dirt, dust, disgusting carpet, computers that aren't cleaned on a regular basis, and insurance deductibles that make obtaining medical coverage very hard, should all be addressed in a more professional, "Fortune 200" company manner, instead of the sub-par manner it's directed in now.

Good Hard Work, Poorly Managed

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Always work. Always Overtime. Bonus Incentives. Working on your own. Feeling of accomplishment regularly. Performance based raises and promotions.

Cons

Poorly managed from top to bottom. Low employee morale at multiple layers. Huge separation feeling between corporate world and those in the trenches. Metrics for raises and bonuses somewhat unrealistic and not statistically sound.

Understand what the largest group of employees go through, the field service specialists and their managers. Compensate corporate technicians closer to that of retail service providers.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!