DISH

There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Loved my job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nitro, WV
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nitro, WV

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dish was one of my favorite places to work. The people in the LSC were great to work with and for the most part were real team players. Most of the time I was told what was expected and then left alone to do my job. Customer service was really a top priority. I was treated very well by the local management and my comments are concerning observations of the way other employees were treated by the corporate office.

Cons

No job security, no matter how long you had been there or how well you did your job most of us knew that we were very expendable. In spite of Joe Claytons proclamation that "If you were doing your job you didn't need to worry about losing it." When the HR rep would pop in we all wondered whose turn it was to be promoted to customer status. It is the way of life at Dish. It happened a lot and to a some good employees in the short time I was there. When Fed-Ex showed up with a final paycheck- that was all the notice that some people got.

Don't expect true loyalty from your employees when you do not operate by the same principle. When you treat people poorly don't be surprised when other people just walk away, it is hard to feel good about a company that has very little regard for their employees as people.
"DISH is committed to a workforce where everyone's opportunities are limitless"..... .......................well almost everyone.

1959 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

pros and cons

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

the culture is wonderful. There is energy and life within the centers. If this culture could be shared with all departments then it would truly be a world class place to work.

Cons

We need an HR Department that actually cares about employees instead of being a face behind a closed door.

When people apply for a position they deserve the respect of a response before hearing from someone else the position has been filled. A form e-mail would be better than ignoring talent that is interested in a job posting. The complete lack of response from local HR Departments shows a lack of respect for the applicants.

Rated Worst and Meanest Employer for a Reason

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are intelligent, passionate and innovative. Unfortunately, DISH hires people they believe could be strong future leaders, but rarely promote them into positions where they can live up to their potential.

Cons

The longer you work there, the lower you're paid in comparison to people coming in externally. The annual salary increases are embarrassingly low. I knew someone who had been working at DISH for three years, was promoted twice - most recently was in a supervisor role - and was only being paid ~$36k. Past interns being hired immediately out of college with no "real world" experience are offered $48k. If you're unemployed, you won't be paid what you're worth. At most, you'll receive an offer equal to what you were paid previously. One of the "benefits" of working at DISH is tuition reimbursement up to $5,000 per year if you're a salaried full time employee and $2,000 per year if you're an hourly full time employee. This makes absolutely no sense. The majority of people at the company who could really benefit from the tuition reimbursement are in roles that do not require a degree - e.g. call center agent. Why would you offer more tuition to the employees required to have a college degree coming in the door? The only justification is that the higher-ups wants to create the illusion that they are providing better benefits when in reality, it's not costing the company much more since the people who are given the higher rate of reimbursement will probably never use it. You'll learn quickly that appearance is more important than performance at DISH. The term most commonly used to describe the culture is "quirky". In actuality it's demanding, frustrating and lacks any incentive to perform to a high standard. There is no flexibility in the work schedule. Things change constantly because everything is done by trial and error rather than using methods that have been proven to work. If you're in an individual contributor role, your ideas to improve processes will never make it past your immediate management and if they do, they will likely be presented as your manager's ideas. You will also have to be prepared to deal with mountains of red tape anytime you want to implement something that makes sense. Upper management basically requires a masters thesis and six months worth of data to prove the sky is blue.

Listen to your employees. You hire highly intelligent and capable people. Stop promoting the wrong people and ignoring the insight your employees provide. Give credit where it's due. Reward employees and stop being so "frugal" with employee compensation and benefits. Be flexible - work life balance is important. Trust your employees. Stop assuming the worst in people. We're all responsible adults. Give employees the opportunity to prove themselves. Hire more qualified leaders and less babysitters. Understand the indirect costs associated with employee turnover. A company like DISH needs to realize the cost of losing intellectual property, especially due to issues that can be changed easily. Remember that employee benefits are meant to benefit employees, not the employer. Start providing real benefits that employees care about, like flexible hours and better health plans.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH