Challenging and interesting work

Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Englewood, CO
Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment
Good compensation
Forward thinking company pushing towards bigger and better
Core philosophy is that if you put the customer first, everything else will work out for the best

Cons

Health insurance offered could be better
Travel expense policy is pretty poor

Advice to Management

Keep moving in current direction, on the verge of greatness

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Terrible job for anyone who has a family or really any life outside work. This is a last option job!

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Pittston, PA
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Pittston, PA

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay check can be great if you are a hard worker and care about quality. Plenty of chances to get a raise. Ability to work alone and not have someone always watching you directly.

Cons

Forced overtime (daily, weekly and sometimes for months), unpredictable schedule. Start at 7am and finish when they let you (sometimes 10-11pm). Very rigid system of checks and balances, while most things are within your control, the things that are not are still held against you. Forced to do sales at an unsuspecting customer's home. Dish will hold you to a monthly quota of several hundred dollars. Ultimately, Dish does not care about it's employees or their families.

Advice to Management

Care as much about retaining employees as you do customers and focus on what makes employees enjoy their job will lead to a better success.

2. Quantity Over Quality

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Florence, SC

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enabling the first time customer the ability to afford and enjoy programs they had never seen before. The work schedule was grueling but 4 days on and 3 days off made it possible. The willingness of other Techs. to support each other. Working independently. Even the rattlesnakes under the houses didn't run me away from Dish.

Cons

Equipment malfunctions. Having to leave tools and equipment (you are responsible for) in a tool room where theft was a common occurence. Even when you meet supposed company standards for completion rates you are then expected to meet a subjective standard in order for your manager to receive higher bonuses. If this subjective points system is not attained you will face a barrage of situations that insure your dismissal. You will be run from one side of the state to the other in order to get your points increasingly lower, your work orders that come from company dispatch will be cancelled and rerouted to someone else. All at one time, your customers that you have travelled hours to get to aren't home and won't be home. Service and installation calls are cancelled while you are in route. My manager insured my failure. The rattlesnake in the office did run me away.

Advice to Management

No, Dish isn't for everyone. You are losing employees that would be assets, way too soon. I now see why the turnover rate is so high. Managers are willing to accept quantity over quality just to line their own pockets. I lost points on jobs just cleaning up the mess left behind by fearful Techs.. Techs that knew if they didn't finish a job in the alloted time or faster their job was in jeopardy. Why should they care about quality performance when no one else does? Why have training classes showing proper techniques for installation, when what you can get by with... is the standard operating procedure. Amazingly enough, when I started bringing these observations to my manager my demise wasn't far behind.