DISH

There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Completely mental, No Physical

Former Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Alvin, TX
Former Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Alvin, TX

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The $$$ is the best part. You get to sit indoors, answer phones and help people with their problems. The advancement in the company is great. There is a set advancement timeline that will also increase pay. Training every week so as to stay in tune with what you'll be helping with. You might not be off for holidays but you'll get paid for doing nothing. Rarely anyone calls on holidays. They would rather you stay then leave but some times they'll allow you to leave so you'll get it off anyway. This happens occasionally.

Cons

No Holidays, unless you're already scheduled off. Like with any job some of your supervisors are ok, then you have the ones that shouldn't have been there. There is mandatory overtime when it is extremely busy (could be good or bad). Is an extremely mental job. If you can't take people crying, constantly arguing, name-calling, etc. then this is not for you. People LOVE their tv and if it is not working you are on the front lines. I had a elderly lady calling when the power cable was on sparking. Instead of calling the fire department when it created an actual fire she called me to get a tech out. I wanted, but couldn't, call the fire department for her as she wouldn't get off phone till tech was scheduled, all the while stating the fire was getting bigger.
The only other things would be that they want you to stick to a script, yet make it your own. However, if you're on a call and its being recorded or listened to and you say something that is not in the script then you'll have to explain yourself. In 4 years I never got written up, other than absences, however the constant nag about doing this or that on a call, when every call is not the same, is enough to get on your nerves.

Not really much. I see the constant force behind customer satisfaction. It just seems that some people take it too far. When you are trying to help the customer and bring that satisfaction, I shouldn't have to explain or defend myself every time.

1879 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

The Worst Company to Work For in America 2 Years Running for a Reason

Former Employee - Instructor in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Instructor in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There weren't many. In the 3 1/2 years I worked for Dish Network, I was fortunate to get the major holidays off. Travel was limited to the Chicagoland area, and some locations in southern Wisconsin and northwestern Indiana; an occasional trip to HQ in Colorado. Co-workers (non-management) shared camaraderie. The best pro I can think of was the interaction I had with the technicians, as it was more of an atmosphere of brotherhood (and sisterhood for the few women who worked there too).

Cons

Where to begin....

Let's start with management. Very cold and unapproachable. Extremely volatile. Lots of yelling and brow-beating. I was once yelled at for 45 min during an interview, by the hiring manager, for advancement within the company because I had not memorized a policy released a week prior to the interview, not pertaining to the interview. HR is powerless and somewhat of a joke. They say they'll back you, and disappear when you need them. Employee turnover is very high, as weekly firings are not out of the ordinary. The worst Dish experience I had was when I went to the corporate offices for a training seminar. Reminded me of being in basic training.

Now onto pay. I was rated in the upper echelon of instructors, constantly getting high marks for instruction, and received only one raise in 3 years. A 4% raise at that. I had asked for a raise for months before that and was always told that I needed to do more. When I did more, it was never enough. Overtime was never an option. If overtime was close, you were sent home.

Career advancement. If you've heard the term 'Good Ole Boy Club' look no further than Dish Network. Jobs are put on their internal website because they have to be, but numerous times we were told that a candidate had already been decided. When I pushed for a chance to prove myself for an advancement....well...see above. Eventually, I stopped trying for advancement, which was viewed as lazy and prompted a sit down.

There's more, but if the above isn't a clear indication of what you're getting into as a new employee, not sure what else to say.

Management isn't all bad. There were some, not many, but some managers I felt very comfortable around. Unfortunately, they were all low level management. If the atmosphere is to improve, it will take a complete overhaul of the current regime. It's not that management is trained badly. It's that they're hired due to their fiercely aggressive nature. I've seen new managers come in that were very approachable at first, but as they see their co-management act a certain way, they eventually succumb to the climate in the company.

Must need tough skin.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bluefield, WV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bluefield, WV

I have been working at DISH full-time (less than an year)

Pros

at least 2 months of training and more if you need it. Not a physical job, climate controlled, full time offered and as much overtime as you want, good supervisors that have been promoted through the company so they know what you're going through. two weeks paid vacation, starts out at good pay and get a raise once moves up departments

Cons

You HAVE to be able to not take things personally. Its a call center which means people can call you and say whatever they want and there's nothing you can do about it. The insurance isnt that cheap and isnt that great, but better than nothing. you're strapped to a desk and computer all day.

pay attention to how the coaches work. The ones that are good are great, the ones that aren't are awful.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH