DISH

www.dish.com
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Good company to work for

Current Employee - H R
Current Employee - H R

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

I can actually grow, good work/life balance, lots of friendly co-workers

Cons

Benefits aren't fantastic, pay is below market, managers (mid and upper level) are not empowered to make decisions, so culture of CYA is pervasive.

We've come a long way - let's continue to get better.

1955 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

Great overall experience with some areas of development needed

Former Employee - Manager in Harlingen, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Harlingen, TX

I worked at DISH full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good salary, great people, opportunity for advancement, decent work/life balance.

Cons

Benefits are too expensive and the deductible is too high, need more leadership development, more positive feedback throughout the year.

Please review your health benefits. Although it was necessary at the time to find a more cost effective plan it is time to look at all of your incentives and reach out to the employees to see what they would be willing to give up for a better benefits package.
    You all are headed in the right direction in leadership development so please stay focused on this effort. The work/life balance is also getting better. Keep going for diversity, working outside traditional settings and making employees a bigger focus. It's all about the lower level employees as they are the majority and deserve to be treated with as much as you can offer them with compensation, incentives, rewards, benefits and schedule flexibility.
    I have worked for a few call centers and they all have frustrated, angry and sometimes abusive customers. In addition, most call centers have stats to meet in an effort to handle as many customers as possible while trying to offer the best possible customer service experience. There is no magic fix it to make everything perfect. Companies are doing their best to try and make money to stay competetive in business and give back to their employees. Dish is the same in this aspect. It is hard work and if you apply to work here or anywhere else please understand that you are applying to work and their expectation is that you give 100% while you are there. I am not familiar with an employer who is comfortable with employees only doing just enough to get by. If this is not something you are comfortable with, apply somewhere less competitive and that has lower expectations.

In my 12 years of call center experience this is by far the worst.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DISH full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free TV service. I'm grasping here but free internet kiosks for employees.

Cons

Terrible work culture and environment to be in. It will take too much time to list all the negatives so I'll just list a few. Work culture at Dish is the worst by far I've seen in my twelve years experience in a call center. My biggest complaint about this place were the monthly metric goals they use to grade employees. Your graded on AHT(avg handle time), CSAT(customer surveys), repeat percentage(% of customers that call back within 3dys of talking to you), upsell % (increase packaging, adding premium channels, etc) and quality. Getting your monthly bonus hinges on meeting these metric goals, not to mention they change frequently giving the impression upper management is screwing you out of your bonus. These bonuses meant everything otherwise you just made your base pay of $11/hour. As a tech on the phone I had less than 8 minutes to get off the phone and resolve customer issues. Now this is a overall avg. but the majority of the calls you dealt with were about signal loss, equipment/remote activations, equipment failure, and irate customers upset about price increases etc. Now most of the troubleshooting steps to fix equipment issues involved a hard reset of equipment which meant the customer had to unplug receiver power chord which takes at least 5-6 minutes to reboot and power up all the way. Just this one step almost puts you behind the AHT goals, this is assuming you have a competent and willing customer to work with, it assumes they have easy access to the power chord etc. And this is just one step of the many troubleshooting steps your required to do to resolve issues. Even if you know exactly what step it will take to resolve the issue your marked down by quality if you don't follow the steps in sequence. Now the kicker for me was quality assurance. Your graded on 4 calls per month and had to get over 88% to pass quality assurance. Now this wasn't difficult and I was a top performer when it came to quality, consistently getting perfect scores. The serious problem I have is reps knew when quality assurance was listening. Let me explain, there were codewords of "beast mode" or even "tebow time" that all supervisors used to discretely tell their reps QA was done listening for the day, or that your 4th QA was completed and meant no more qa's for the month. This ran rampant in the Phoenix, AZ call center. This meant reps now did what they had to do to get their AHT numbers down for the day. This included skipping steps to resolve issues, meant lying to customers telling them what they wanted to hear to get them off the phone, this also meant lots of customers getting hung up on. And why? Well because nobody was listening. Basically during the first half of they day you did everything proper because QA was listening, doing things by the book also usually meant you had high AHT for first half of day, then once you knew your 4 monitors were in for the day it was all about do what it takes to get your AHT numbers down to meet goal. First half of the day supervisors/managers would be unhinged that AHT was so high, then by the second half of your shift you hoped you did enough to get the numbers down. Supervisors knew what was going on but were just puppeteers of the managers where the stress came from top to bottom. This fostered an environment where to make bonus reps did what they had to make goal. Now remember that customer survey part? Try taking a call where the customer was hung up on 5 times consecutively and now it's your job to resolve the issue and hope the customer doesn't take out their frustration on your customer survey which is directly linked to your bonus. It's a viscous and toxic environment and would never recommend this place to anyone. I was dying a slow death in this place and am so glad I'm now in a place where the company values their employees

Get a clue. Get rid of the "beastmode" culture and monitor every call or do more live random monitors. AHT numbers will go up but at least you'll have realistic data of what it takes to properly resolve these calls. Your short sighted views will determine that higher AHT hurts your bottom line. But I'd bet if you look at the bigger picture it makes financial sense.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH