There are newer employer reviews for DISH

This is a deadened job.

Current Employee - Still Just An Agent in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Still Just An Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Company has invested lots of time and resources into changing the culture. Upper management is spending more time at each site.

Cons

I can't figure out how you can get promoted in this place. Ive worked with many of those that have been recently promoted and I know that most maintained their numbers by not following the rules. There is a vicious cycle of managers teaching coaches how to manipulate, coaches teaching agents and so on. You will only get generic feedback and generally it is the same feedback given to all applicants for the promotion.
I wasn't shocked by the earlier post made by a manager when he wrote about weeding people out. This manager is exactly the reason that talented people will not stay with Dish.

If you want to change the culture at Dish you need to start with the managers that continue to "Weed" out talented people. If you want to really know what goes on in Phoenix, have a round table in which you randomly pick agents and don't invite any staff members.

1788 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

At Dish you are just a number not a person

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Free programming, 40k match, tuition reimbursement

Cons

Horrible medical benefits, poor management style, terrible performance appraisal process

Right now is a big push for everyone to get their degree and little do you all realize many are using you for the tuition reimbursement and then plan to leave because you do not pay enough for people with degrees. I had my degree long before coming to Dish and I can say everything I do is from my years experience at Dish and nothing to do with my degree. Also with the talent planning and supervisors asking if employees have degrees has lead to supervisors without degrees to create a hostile work environment towards direct reports with degrees. We have people from management to senior management in the wrong positions. There are way too many bad decisions being made at all levels. Read the laws for the states you have locations, read the DOL laws, read your federal laws and follow them. It might enlighten you to why you face so many lawsuits. I am certainly surprised a company of this size can not follow the laws but again this is what happens when you have the wrong people in positions of leadership. Moral, having free food sometimes is not going to help moral. You need to start treating employees like people, not a number. Give us better medical benefits. Look at your leaders and make sure they are right for that position. Stop making empty promises. Learn the laws ( hint: should really understand salary non-exempt not paying time and a half and fluctuating work week). Understand that length of employment, loyalty and job results should be more important than forcing degrees on everyone. Change your performance appraisal process. You should not lower a person's score just to give them a lower raise. If you really believe that no one falls under exceeds or exceptional maybe you are hiring the wrong people or that your management staff is not developing their people. If you are worried about attrition maybe you should stop looking for reasons to fire someone and look for reasons to keep them. Realize if a person has been in a position long term this does not automatically mean the are not good enough to move up, it could mean they enjoy their job and happy there and it works well with creating their work/life balance. Before we go on major talent planning firing sprees maybe the ones making the decision to fire people should be evaluated. If a company has as many issues as this one, need to evaluate fro the top down, not the bottom to the top!

Okay at first then a nightmare!

Former Employee - FSS1
    Former Employee - FSS1

I worked at DISH full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good training, Attentive instructors. Get your own truck (as a remote tech). Provide all your tools.

Cons

Rules constantly changing. Ridiculous metrics, unattainable consistently. Poorly trained managers.

Open your eyes. Have an independent company review how you operate and obtain TRULY anonymous employee feedback. Then you will see why you score so low. Joe, you have good intentions. Get rid of the Charlie way of doing things. I saw your interview about Charlie. You have never seen him be, lets say a bad person? You won't while having tea and crumpets. Look at your high turnover rate. "Dish is not for everybody". Cop-out. If you truly believed what you are saying, you would see about making things better for all and you would retain those whom you speak of.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH