A changing company - Customer Service Side

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dish has taken many steps to change the way they treat and look at its employees. Some of the changes are:

• Expectations about how our leaders are to manage
• The amount and content of our training programs throughout the company
• How we manage our scheduling, including overtime and holidays
• The tools and equipment you need to do your job productively and with greater ease

Also, they are implementing a new indexing system to measure call center employees. With this system there will not be any goals that agents need to hit. Instead, they will be ranked with everyone in the company taking the same call types and will need to be at or above the average. This new system will help by not hurting agents when events outside of their control effect thier calls. For instance, customer satisfaction will be lower and call times may be higher during severe weather.

The culture at the call centers is very different than it is at the corporate office. The call centers have a much more dynamic, fun, and engaging atmosphere.

Cons

The pay is lower compared to others in the same positions in similar companies. The benefits health benefits are not all that great. The company seems to take cost cutting a little too far. They make everyone share hotel rooms when they travel, which seems like it could create some HR issues. They also will not provide any high speed internet to the sites. Even on their own demo boards (demo boards are areas in the center where all of the I-Pod and related devices are setup for agents to get familar with) do not have fast enough internet access to work.

Advice to Management

We compare our company to Google, Apple and others that are known to have great work atmospheres but it seems like we are unwilling to spend the money to create it. We asked every week to come up with ideas to make the company a place where people want to work that does not cost any money. Benefits, pay, and site improvements are a big part of why people like to work at those companies. We cannot even send flowers to employees that have babies without vice president approval.

If management continues the improvement process the culture will improve. I think that they are on the right track they just need to keep moving forward.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

It's what you make of it.

Current Employee - Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It’s a great entry level environment for someone willing to tough out the long hours, difficult calls and ever changing schedules. Let’s face it, this job isn’t easy. I am confident in saying that in the area, there are far easier jobs that pay the same amount, However Dish offers a the opportunity to move up for individuals that bring dedication to the table. I have seen employees make it from new hire to management.

Cons

Healthcare is lacking, terribly high co pays , Sick time is not available to anyone with less than 2 years tenure (calendar year). PTO caps out at 120 hours per year for anyone with more than 5 years tenure. Tuition reimbursement is subpar for hourly employees. If I had a family and I had children depending on me as the provider of healthcare. I would not have accepted this position.

Advice to Management

We as company want to be a company that can be compared to Apple, Microsoft and Google; however our employee compensation does not reflect the same. We are considered a training school for better paying employers.

2. Demanding schedule, but good work-life balance; need to practice what they preach.

Current Employee - Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Short work week. The company requires only a 4-day work week in my department. Although the days are long, the offset of a 3-day weekend more than makes up for it. Competitive pay with opportunity for bi-weekly bonuses, plus decent benefits. Dish certainly has the customer's best interest in mind.

Cons

The company has baseline metrics across the board that are more difficult to attain in certain areas than others due to demographic and geographic complications. There is a disconnect from senior management in regards to how the local business can reasonably operate. Different divisions within the company do not communicate well between each other.

Advice to Management

Trust your entry-level and mid-level management teams. Involve us more in important decisions that affect the business and you will see success. Dish has invested a great deal of money into management training that has a heavy focus on trust, but senior leadership does not practice what they preach.