A changing company - Customer Service Side

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dish has taken many steps to change the way they treat and look at its employees. Some of the changes are: • Expectations about how our leaders are to manage • The amount and content of our training programs throughout the company • How we manage our scheduling, including overtime and holidays • The tools and equipment you need to do your job productively and with greater ease Also, they are implementing a new indexing system to measure call center employees. With this system there will not be any goals that agents need to hit. Instead, they will be ranked with everyone in the company taking the same call types and will need to be at or above the average. This new system will help by not hurting agents when events outside of their control effect thier calls. For instance, customer satisfaction will be lower and call times may be higher during severe weather. The culture at the call centers is very different than it is at the corporate office. The call centers have a much more dynamic, fun, and engaging atmosphere.

Cons

The pay is lower compared to others in the same positions in similar companies. The benefits health benefits are not all that great. The company seems to take cost cutting a little too far. They make everyone share hotel rooms when they travel, which seems like it could create some HR issues. They also will not provide any high speed internet to the sites. Even on their own demo boards (demo boards are areas in the center where all of the I-Pod and related devices are setup for agents to get familar with) do not have fast enough internet access to work.

Advice to Management

We compare our company to Google, Apple and others that are known to have great work atmospheres but it seems like we are unwilling to spend the money to create it. We asked every week to come up with ideas to make the company a place where people want to work that does not cost any money. Benefits, pay, and site improvements are a big part of why people like to work at those companies. We cannot even send flowers to employees that have babies without vice president approval. If management continues the improvement process the culture will improve. I think that they are on the right track they just need to keep moving forward.

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

Overworked and grossly underpaid.

Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have employment. You are making money to survive. Some day you will no longer have to work here. You will have at least one day off a month to look for another job.

Cons

Everything about this job revolves around a dangling carrot. They tell and show you how much you can make in bonuses, then you start to see how hard it is to achieve these goals. Then a little later you see that the system is designed to work against you. All of the great training you see at the home office is never carried out at the lower levels due to overworked management that is understaffed and underpaid. They have doubled the number of technicians under each manager in 2011 (from 8 to 16) and have never raised management pay for a doubled workload. The expected metrics increase in expectations every year while pay is stagnate. Installations get more complicated with more devices but you are expected to complete them in the same amount of time. Dish will try and convince you that only a select group of people fit at Dish, that is true, people who can not get employment elsewhere. 5% of the employees have been employed longer than 2 years. That is an outrageous turnover rate that should be a red flag something is wrong. It is truly the worst job I have ever had in 25 years.

Advice to Management

Your management staff is way understaffed. Your technicians speak of nothing but trying to get out of Dish due to long hours and unreasonably expectations that do nothing but grow each year. This causes a very negative environment. You have said many times that Dish is only for a select group of people, that is correct, people who do not have employment.

Overall lack of support

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck and it is relatively stable.

Cons

So many changes with such great hopes of becoming a better company but in the process may lose some highly valuable people. Some not so valuable.

Advice to Management

Slow down.