DISH

www.dish.com
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Okay at first then a nightmare!

Former Employee - FSS1
Former Employee - FSS1

I worked at DISH full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good training, Attentive instructors. Get your own truck (as a remote tech). Provide all your tools.

Cons

Rules constantly changing. Ridiculous metrics, unattainable consistently. Poorly trained managers.

Open your eyes. Have an independent company review how you operate and obtain TRULY anonymous employee feedback. Then you will see why you score so low. Joe, you have good intentions. Get rid of the Charlie way of doing things. I saw your interview about Charlie. You have never seen him be, lets say a bad person? You won't while having tea and crumpets. Look at your high turnover rate. "Dish is not for everybody". Cop-out. If you truly believed what you are saying, you would see about making things better for all and you would retain those whom you speak of.

1955 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

Horrible

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Rock Tavern, NY
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Rock Tavern, NY

I have been working at DISH full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of overtime whether you want it or not. On your own after training period. All tools provided by the company. Two week training at a regional training center. Four day work weeks were the best.

Cons

Management that is looking to treat you like a child. Use of scare tactics is the norm. If you don't meet certain points requirements that were well above the minimum your manager would not receive his bonus and went after those employees. Horrible equipment, Call center employees and service techs were never on the same page. All 4 of us hired at one time were lied to about when to sign up for health benefits and missed the cut off date.

Jump in a vehicle and understand your equipment sounds great on paper but is terrible. Listen to employees more than management, they are the ones actually dealing with the issues the a plaguing your company.

At Dish you are just a number not a person

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Free programming, 40k match, tuition reimbursement

Cons

Horrible medical benefits, poor management style, terrible performance appraisal process

Right now is a big push for everyone to get their degree and little do you all realize many are using you for the tuition reimbursement and then plan to leave because you do not pay enough for people with degrees. I had my degree long before coming to Dish and I can say everything I do is from my years experience at Dish and nothing to do with my degree. Also with the talent planning and supervisors asking if employees have degrees has lead to supervisors without degrees to create a hostile work environment towards direct reports with degrees. We have people from management to senior management in the wrong positions. There are way too many bad decisions being made at all levels. Read the laws for the states you have locations, read the DOL laws, read your federal laws and follow them. It might enlighten you to why you face so many lawsuits. I am certainly surprised a company of this size can not follow the laws but again this is what happens when you have the wrong people in positions of leadership. Moral, having free food sometimes is not going to help moral. You need to start treating employees like people, not a number. Give us better medical benefits. Look at your leaders and make sure they are right for that position. Stop making empty promises. Learn the laws ( hint: should really understand salary non-exempt not paying time and a half and fluctuating work week). Understand that length of employment, loyalty and job results should be more important than forcing degrees on everyone. Change your performance appraisal process. You should not lower a person's score just to give them a lower raise. If you really believe that no one falls under exceeds or exceptional maybe you are hiring the wrong people or that your management staff is not developing their people. If you are worried about attrition maybe you should stop looking for reasons to fire someone and look for reasons to keep them. Realize if a person has been in a position long term this does not automatically mean the are not good enough to move up, it could mean they enjoy their job and happy there and it works well with creating their work/life balance. Before we go on major talent planning firing sprees maybe the ones making the decision to fire people should be evaluated. If a company has as many issues as this one, need to evaluate fro the top down, not the bottom to the top!

There are newer employer reviews for DISH