There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Okay at first then a nightmare!

Former Employee - FSS1
Former Employee - FSS1

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good training, Attentive instructors. Get your own truck (as a remote tech). Provide all your tools.

Cons

Rules constantly changing. Ridiculous metrics, unattainable consistently. Poorly trained managers.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. Have an independent company review how you operate and obtain TRULY anonymous employee feedback. Then you will see why you score so low. Joe, you have good intentions. Get rid of the Charlie way of doing things. I saw your interview about Charlie. You have never seen him be, lets say a bad person? You won't while having tea and crumpets. Look at your high turnover rate. "Dish is not for everybody". Cop-out. If you truly believed what you are saying, you would see about making things better for all and you would retain those whom you speak of.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Let's bring some truth to the table. To the attention of Joseph Clayton...

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

I've had an excellent manager for a number of years, who does their best to make up for DISH's shortcomings, even when policy prohibits it. There are some genuinely good people at DISH. They're just incredibly rare, as are hard workers.

Cons

Lost Benefits: Stop taking away company perks to save money. Morale is at an all time low, so you hunker down on existing benefits, close down parties, and I LOVED (I heart you for this) the "discounted" Rockies tickets...discounted? Charlie killed Coors field events at Christmas and you "discounted" tickets for a company-sponsored event? That's right up there with having your employees shoulder the tax of DISH's employee programming "benefits"; which are "free". It's less than a dollar a month, but it was a program forced down our throats and now we have to pay out of pocket for it. No amount of "high quality programming" changes that. Open Door Policy: Let's talk about your "A Note from Joe" e-mail to all employees after this article was published. Your employees want to talk to you, they want to tell you the problems you aren't aware of; things there are already solutions available for, but which no exec wants to endorse (it's kind of sad really; hot potato with customer problems and system issues.) YOUR management team has very strict and severe consequences for not taking issues through the chain of command (this post for example); or for running them back up the chain after someone said "no, not important". And when they find an issue to be "unimportant", YOU never hear about it. Like the customers currently being impacted that aren't "severe enough" to do anything about. Someone's not "thinking customer", and it's someone close to your position Joe. IT runs the business?: And while I'm on the topic, sit in on a few IT meetings at mid-level; just regular day to day stuff to keep things running. Make sure your presence isn't announced; or just call into the bridge without announcing yourself and listen. Your company is IT/tech driven, but your programmers tell your business managers HOW to do their jobs; shouldn't it be the other way around? Your programmers don't want to do something because it'll be hard work or take time; unless you or another exec tells them to, it's not getting done, even if it would help DISH. Also, Windows 8 is scheduled for release this fall; most of your computers are still running XP. You intend to build #1 World Class service on outdated software/hardware and buggy middleware?

Advice to Management

As posted August 19, 2012. It still applies Joe, you haven't been paying attention. And after reading your internal company mail claiming it's "good business" for GlassDoor.com to portray DISH in a bad light for a second year in a row, you have little credibility now as well. Let's get started, shall we? The problems with DISH are fairly simple and straightforward, the solutions are as well but not with the current mindset of DISH management. Expectations: Joe, if you want a world-class team, with world-class performance, maintaining a world-class service... YOU HAD BEST OFFER WORLD CLASS PAY/BENEFITS (and not just for new hires please). No one wants to work for low wages (excuse me..."competitive in Colorado") where performance expectations are second to NONE! How can you in good conscience pay middle-class wage ranges when you want to be #1 in all things? If you want to BE #1, PAY YOUR PEOPLE AS THOUGH YOU ARE. DirecTV pays more; and many of your employees know it. Their Pride will keep them at DISH for a little bit, but Pride (Adventure, Winning) doesn't pay bills. And I listened to your pre-ATM prep speech in the café last year where you stated you know employees want more pay and better benefits, but that's not what you want to hear about. You're listening, but you're not paying attention, or maybe you just don't care. If you care, start by examining what your employees want MOST; not what's easiest to accomplish. Low-hanging fruit as we say in meetings, isn't going to fix this. Advancement: Joe; the only way someone can advance isn't by improving performance; it's if SOMEONE DIES (or if you happen to be sleeping with the right manager). How can an employee be rated 1st/2nd in their respective department EVERY SINGLE YEAR, and only receive a promotion every 3-5+? Yeah, that's a cut in pay too, promotions are more money; no promo that year and every year thereafter is money lost. Oh, and talk to HR about why promo adjustments are higher at Meridian than any other facility. That's 15 years for 3 promos Joe. It would take a CSR from day 1, ~65+ years to advance to CEO at a rate of 1 promo every 5 years. How's that for motivation? Kill yourself for the next 65 years (DISH hiring starts at age 18, so you'd be 83) and you MIGHT make CEO. Work hard for the next 10, and MAYBE you can apply for your boss' job... Priorities: Joe, people are scared for their jobs; especially after that last "Talent Upgrade". Do you really think that ANYONE cares the janitor dressed up in the Hopper suit rang the NYSE opening bell a week back? Morale is at an all time low, and Hopper rang the bell is the e-mail the CEO sends out? So far I've outlined pay, benefits, accountability, change-averse attitudes and company culture as issues. A mascot in a suit...not that important. Talent Upgrade: A lot of people are no longer with DISH as a result of this particular topic; but there's a problem with how this was carried out. Company culture, and the means of changing it, including but not limited to what I mentioned above is driven FROM THE TOP DOWN! So why during the Talent Upgrade did only one high profile exec leave? The goal was a clean sweep of all DISH's deadwood, right? So why are those below the executive level more afraid for their jobs than those above? It's a rhetorical question; everyone in the company knows the answer. But if you want to change something, ANYTHING, you drive it from the top down. Today's culture is still very much bottom up accountability, top down pay and control; hold whoever is at the lowest level most accountable and work your way up. CSRs KNOW they are expendable, and many wise employees at mid-level are intelligent enough to consider themselves the same. No one should ever be untouchable; it should all be based on performance. But as I said above, only one notable (board level) exec left as a result of this process. Just so you know; there is a program manager I listen to regularly yell at some poor girl in DISH's southern facility about purchase orders and requests for materials issues. She has no power to do anything about it or doesn't understand, and this moderately well-paid multi-year employee is literally yelling (it echoes through the department) at the poor girl almost weekly. This girl is probably scared for her job after the above, can't do anything about it and all she knows is someone who's been around longer than her, and has more power than her (and is clearly unfit for the position) is upset because he didn't get what he wanted. I've watched this manager for years; he is the epitome of what the Talent Upgrade was meant to remove. THIS is your day-to-day culture Joe. You can send your execs to poke into these issues, but many of us love our jobs at DISH, Joe. We truly want what's best for the company, but only a handful of employees are stubborn/brave/stupid enough to challenge the highest echelons of DISH management trying to do the right thing. Your execs DO NOT respond kindly to having their authority, judgment or "experience" questioned; but you want to change all that, right? Start with this list; they aren't small items but that post in 24/7 Wall Street wasn't a lie. What I think I find most frightening, is your immediate reply that the statements and ranking was "ridiculous". I'm not sure if that's due to your responsibility to the stock holders, but not all of it was invalid Joe. There are problems in DISH; I think a more accurate reply might have been "I'm personally looking into it." I'm not sure if you truly will, but here it is in black and white if you wish to read it. Don't try to contact me. This is a one-time use login and I won't be using it again. I have already taken time out of my night to try and help make you aware of things you need to be aware of. But more than that, I'd rather leave no further traces that might endanger my job. As much as I want DISH to do well, I have bills to pay. One last addendum, Joe, the Talent Planning program. Why is it acceptable for senior management to implement a secret second "Performance Appraisal" process annually (which likely supersedes the regular PA process), that determines the overall health and direction of an employee's career, as each of their managers rank their abilities on a SWOT scale, but for which the results are NEVER provided to the employee? How can someone improve their performance if they don't know what they do is wrong? Further, Talent Planning feedback comes DIRECTLY from senior management; don't you think the employee wants to know these results and where their career is going long term even more than they want their manager's annual feedback? A secret "The Skulls"-like second performance appraisal process which the employee themself knows almost nothing about doesn't inspire trust.

2. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Frontline Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Frontline Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great chance for advancement, recenlty many promotions have become available. The atmosphere is a great one, espically with all the chances to get bonuses. The supervisors are always trying to help us out and wanting to see us do well and improve. Plus we get FREE TV. I love working here and recomend it to all my friends and family. And anyone who wants to work a company that is moving in the right direction and where you move up quickly.

Cons

I can not think of many cons at this time, just so happy with my job

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work